• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete for Existing Employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DenverWorker

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My employer has handed me a non-compete and asked that I sign it. I have been given no material benefit to sign it, no promotion/raise/etc., it has a geographical restricted area of the entire 50 United States and a time restriction of 1 year. They have (not yet) threatened to terminate me if I do not sign it.

Legally, if I refuse to sign the Non Compete, can they terminate me?

Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Legally, yes they can.

You might want to have the agreement reviewed by a local attorney to see if it's enforceable. If it isn't, it might be a moot point whether you sign it or not.

mlane58

Take cbg's advice and have an attorney look at it. Such agreements may be invalid or limited in Colorado as most apply to company executives and physicians in group practices.

DenverWorker

Thanks.

mlane58 said:
Take cbg's advice and have an attorney look at it. Such agreements may be invalid or limited in Colorado as most apply to company executives and physicians in group practices.
Thank you both. If you know of any good employment attorneys whom I should contact, I'd appreciate a recommendation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The rules of this site do not permit us to give specific referrals. There is a Find-A-Lawyer section elsewhere on this site.

DenverWorker

cbg said:
The rules of this site do not permit us to give specific referrals. There is a Find-A-Lawyer section elsewhere on this site.
Okay, thanks. Always helps to get a personal referral from those in the know, but I'll make some calls...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">