• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non compete if fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmanhere

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I work in Texas and was fired recently. My employer had me sign a non compete at the beginning of my employment.
Does this keep me from working in my current industry if I was fired from my job?

mlane58

It is impossible to say as no one here can review the document. You need to take it to a local attorney well versed in these agreements.

LeeHarveyBlotto

As mlane has stated, the devil is in the details in terms of whether the non-complete is likely to stand up.

In VERY general terms, however, if the idea is "I got fired, so the non-compete is void", then no, not so much. If that were the case, anyone who didn't want to live by the agreement would simply act in such a way as to force the employer's hand.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There isn't an across-the-board law that says, all non-competes are automatically void if you are fired, if that is what you are asking.

Hot Topic

I doubt the company would allow you to ignore the non-compete clause because they fired you. It could be argued that an employee who'd been fired would have the "best" reason to get a job with the competition in order to "get even" with the former employer.

You should have asked HR. I'd still call them to get clarification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">