• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compete questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kja1971

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I have a litany of questions on this topic, but I'll just ask a couple. But first some quick background: I have worked for my employer for 23 years, and it's the place I've worked since I earned my bachelors. After moving around for several years to different positions (always a promotion), I have been in my current role for 12 years. I have received four promotions in that role, with my last one coming two months ago. I had expected to be promoted to vice-president mostly based on it was the usual next title for my position, and my senior vice-president had been telling me for two years he thought I deserved it. Unfortunately, the timing was bad and our president felt we had too many VP; therefore, to promote me, they created a new position by tacking on "senior" to my title. I received a decent raise and a generous amount of stock that came with a catch. I don't receive any of the stock for eight years. Needless to say, I was underwhelmed and a little disappointed with my "promotion."

In my role, I am on the team that procures a service that's essential to our business, and my company could not exist without that service. I have been involved with innumerable negotiations, and as the guy with the most tenure, I am often relied upon as the "historian" since history is often important to provide context. Also, I am usually pulled into various negotiations. I don't believe anyone is ever indispensable (even Steve Jobs and Sam Walton were such!), I've been told I am very important to our team's function and often told they need me in my role rather than transferring to other departments. Because I love what I do, I'm OK with that.

I should say, my company (approx. $5.5 billion in revenues) is considered by most to be the leader in its industry. Because we've been doing what we do for 25 years and were doing it before anyone else, we were able to secure very advantageous contracts from our vendors that we've maintained to this day. On top of having considerable experience with procurement in a considerably specialized area, I have considerable knowledge of our contracts and am probably one of three people with such knowledge.

Each year, I receive an award of company stock as part of my annual compensation, and over the years, that stock award now constitutes about 60% of my compensation (which comes to around $225K). To get possession of that stock, I am required to sign a non-compete agreement, which says many things. But the one in question is a non-compete. In exchange for the stock, I agree that up my termination for ANY reason, I will not go to a certain competitors, customers and vendors (defined in the agreement) for two years. Further, the agreement goes on to explicitly name certain competitors AND the six vendors with which I work.

Yes, I sign those agreements within hours of receiving them, and I've signed them probably ten times over the years. But, if I didn't sign them, I'd lose out on over half my compensation, and I'd be labeled as disloyal and could forget promotion in the future. In fact, I once heard a high, high level manager disparage an employee who delayed for weeks signing his agreement. He's no longer with the company. The way I see it, I really don't have an option not to sign the agreement.

From time-to-time, employees at my level and above leave the company to go to competitors or customers. My understanding is the company always sends nasty letters with threats of litigation. As far as I know, the ones I knew were able to stay at their new companies. I've heard that a few times, we worked it out with the former employee's new employer to limit their new roles for a specified period. On other ex-employees, I'm not sure what happened.

I'm not looking for an exhaustive legal opinion from the forum, but would be interested to know if I should let these non-competes keep me from pursuing new opportunities.

I'm not actively looking, but I've begun to return call from headhunters, and once I'm confident I've hit my personal ceiling at my company, I'll start looking. Headhunters have told me my resume is quite attractive, and coming from the industry leader makes me all the more so.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you showed these non-competes to local attorneys who were able to read them in full, what did they say about their enforcability?

kja1971

I'm getting my docs to the attorney tomorrow. I'm eager to know something, and that's why I posed the question here. I know not having all the information here makes it difficult for anyone to give a comprehensive answer. I was just interested if anyone had thought about non-competes in general based on what I shared. Perhaps that's not possible.

quincy

A non-compete agreement should probably not stop you from pursuing new opportunities, if you wish to explore options and leave your current employment - but you will want to consider all aspects of any move carefully.

Some states do not recognize non-compete agreements and many states will not enforce non-compete agreements. Those non-competes that tend to be unenforceable are those that are overly broad, in either geographic range or in time. These clauses are designed to protect valid business interests and should not work to prevent someone from finding employment elsewhere.

A recent case in Arkansas found a non-compete too restrictive and, therefore, unenforceable. You can check out Morgan v West Memphis Steel & Pipe, Inc, No. 3:14-cv-00015-BRW (E.D. Ark. May 20, 2014), to see what the Court considered in making their decision.

I agree with cbg that the best way to determine if your particular non-compete clause in your contract is enforceable is to have it reviewed by a local attorney. No one on this forum can do personal reviews.

Last edited:

kja1971

Thanks, Quincy for the Morgan case. I was able to find the judge's order in the case from May and will definitely read it.

I understand I need to get the actual agreements in front of an attorney to get a complete opinion. That happens tomorrow.

Again, thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">