• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non compete, tn #2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mysticdream

I was wondering if a non compete is still binding if the company goes out of business at any point.

previous post:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? tennessee
I was wondering if you could tell me if a non-compete agreement is legal? My
employers made me sign one that basically will not allow me to work in my
field within a 25-mile radius of my home for a period of 1 year(I live a
mile from my work). I have been doing my career for 6 years and did not recieve any specialized training from this company.

Please respond as soon as possible or let me know who I can contact to find
the answer.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance,
Jennifer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eerelations

The purpose of a non-compete agreement is to prevent a person from competing with a company (by starting a business or working for another company in direct competition with the company) for a specified period of time. If the company goes out of business, then there's nothing to compete with, ergo the non-compete agreement is invalid.

While the foregoing is perfectly logical to me, I've noticed that the law isn't always as logical as I am. An attorney would be able to give you an accurate (though not necessarily logical) answer to your question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">