• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete valid if fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chinabloo

What is the name of your state? OH

My husband was fired last month and would like to take a job with a competitor of his former employer. In general, is the non-compete enforceable since he was fired?

BelizeBreeze

chinabloo said:
What is the name of your state? OH

My husband was fired last month and would like to take a job with a competitor of his former employer. In general, is the non-compete enforceable since he was fired?
In general, it depends on the specific language of the Non-compete. But yes, absent any language to the contrary.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He will have to show the document to a local attorney. If you are asking whether the law unilaterally calls all non-compete agreements invalid if the employee is fired, the answer is no, it does not.

JETX

Cbg is correct in that the non-compete is not waived due to the termination.... however, courts have traditionally frowned upon restrictions placed by employers on their employees' right to find and make a living. Generally, courts will enforce non-competition agreements if:
* the employer proves that it has a legitimate business interest to protect by restricting its employees' right to compete against it;

* the restriction on the employee's right to compete is no greater than that necessary to protect the employer's business interest; and

* the covenant not to compete is supported by consideration, meaning that the employee received something in exchange for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">