• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-compete validity when laid-off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clong

myself and some colleagues were recently released from long standing positions with a consulting firm. We signed employment agreements including a covenant not to compete. The company has warned us about approaching any of the businesses were were exposed to during our employment for either permanent or contracting positions. This effects our ability to get work, as our skills are limited and the target market is small. Are non-competes enforcable in this situation? This concerns IT consulting in/from central Ohio.

crager34

Not likely

The big issue is YOUR right-to-work. Non-compete are rarely enforcable, especially if it limits just that...your right-to work. Your pursuit of happiness (sound familiar?) superceeds this non-compete agreement.

B

buddy2bear

Non-competes CAN be enforced. It depends on your State's law and/or whether or not the non-compete is REASONABLE, either in time period or area it encompasses. I suggest that you talk to a labor and employment attorney and let him read over your non-compete contract. My boss has enforced many of these for his employer-clients.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">