• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compete voided if not notified by the company during the notification period?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZCode

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I left my company a while back, and in the contract company has a certain period after the termination date to notify me on how long / whether they want to enforce their non-compete. However, the window has passed and nobody contacted me. Does that mean my non-compete agreement is automatically voided? If they contacted me later, given that the notification period has passed, can they still enforce the non-compete agreement?

ecmst12

No one can comment on a contract they have not read. You will need to take your paperwork to a local attorney for review and opinion. It will cost you some money.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The only appropriate answer to any question regarding any kind of contract or non-compete agreement is, show it to an attorney in your state. The devil is in the details and we cannot assess the enforceabilty or other terms of a contract/agreement we have not read in full.

tranquility

Is this a non-compete in general, or is it specific to clients you've already seen? (As in home health care workers.)

Generally, non-compete contracts for employees are greatly disfavored. Unless there is a real limitation of time, place and subjects on what the company can enforce, they generally don't fly in a typical employee/employer situation. That changes when you're selling the business and make an arms length contact or if you have specific interaction with an individual client.

You Are Guilty

NY isn't quite as ardent as say, California when it comes to NCAs. Generally, if it is for 1-3 years and reasonably limited as to geographic scope (taking into account the type of work itself as well), they are usually upheld.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">