• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-competiton clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lubkka

What is the name of your state? CA
My HO is in LA, I've been working for this company for 2 years, all of a sudden they want me to sign this letter with a non-competiton clause - not allowing to work for any competitor for 3 years - no mention has been made of geographically area, which leads me to believe that it applies to all competitors around the world. I don't want to sign it, but fear I will lose my job if I do. Is such a clause enforcable, and can I be fired if I don't sign it?

pattytx

My understanding is that it is pretty hard, if not impossible, to write an enforceable non-compete clause in California. You can get a referral for a cheap consultation with an attorney through the local or state Bar Assoc and have them review it though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">