• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Medical employee exposed to bodily fluids- do I have right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poochiex2

What is the name of your state? NJ
I recently was hired as an office assistant in a medical practice. During my interview I was told I would strictly be responsible for office duties and never be involved with any thing medical since I do not have the required schooling or licenses. Two weeks after working I was told to take over the duty of preparing specimen and biopsies for UPS shipment. At first, I was fine with this because the medical assistants actually bag the materials. However, I soon learned that I was required to open each bag and inspect the insurance billing sheet. This subjects me to the bodily fluids such as urine (some containing blood), which have spilled on occasion. I do wear gloves but since I have no medical training, background or experience I am unsure what would be proper safety protocol. Am I protected enough? Can they ask me to do this job? Or, am I putting myself at risk? Do I have rights here? Are they neglecting any safety guidelines or regulations set forth by OSHA or HIPPA? Please advise.

Last edited:

JETX

Am I protected enough?
Of course, we can't answer that without SEEING what you are handling and what protocols are in place.

Can they ask me to do this job?
Yes.

Or, am I putting myself at risk?
As compared to typing bills?? Yes.

Do I have rights here?
Yep. You have the right to quit if you don't feel comfortable doing the work they ask.

Are they neglecting any safety guidelines or regulations set forth by OSHA or HIPPA?
Depends.... provide FULL details of all safety practices and regulations that your employer complies with.... and we will tell you what might be missing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Can we PLEASE get the acronyms right? It is HIPAA, not HIPPA. And HIPAA does not have anything to do with this issue.

ecmst12

You have the right to take a class on blood-borne pathogens and cross contamination. Your employer may even pay for it.

mitousmom

You should contact DOL's OSHA and ask them. OSHA does have rules and regulations for handling and transporting potentially infectious material, including bodily specimens. I doubt they proscribe the type of employees who can do the work, but establish safety requirements. The containers for those specimens shouldn't come open or leak.

Gadfly

What steps have you taken to express your concerns to your employer. Has your employer explained any precautions to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">