• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NonCompete Contracts TEXAS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigtexasinfo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Okay, I have a rather lengthy "Employment Agreement" that I signed several years ago with my current employer. I am unhappy with the practices of this company, thus am looking for other employment. In this contract there is a "Non-Compete Agreement" it is very lengthy and hidden deep in the agreement. As I was reading, looking for loop holes, (which isn't easy b/c it is FULL of legal jargon), I ran across this section:

"d. Discharge Without Cause Either party may terminate this Agreement and the employment relationship without cause by giving the other party thirty (30) days' advance written notice of such termination after the 90 day probationary period as described in Section 6(e), below."

Now to me, the lay person, this says to me that since the this document is titled "Employment Agreement" that I just found my loop hole. That as long as I give 30 days advance written notice that I would like to terminate the agreement and my employment relationship, I should be fine to work for the competitor or whoever else I want to.

Please help clarify, let me know if I am correct or not! Sorry this post is so lenghty!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We can't say what it means based on one paragraph taken out of context. For all we know, there's language elsewhere in the document that modifies this paragraph.

You will have to show the ENTIRE document to an attorney in your state for a definite answer.

bigtexasinfo

That is what I was afraid of...just looking for some advice before I hire an atty. Probably better off just going and sacking groceries for a year before I try and fight these people.

eerelations

It's very unlikely that this termination clause negates any other clauses if activated. That's just not how standard agreements (like this one seems to be) work.

Again, though, you'd have to have an attorney review the entire agreement to be sure. I just suspect (given my experience with these things) that you won't get the opinion you want from the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">