• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To be or not to be...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loverboy

South Carolina
I have a dilema. My employer is faced with reduced business and a head count reduction is imminent. Based on signals, I'm looking for a job. However, it's not a very successful endevor so far. I've been a very productive employee with many customer appreciations and even a promotion last year. I feel that some employees are being protected at my cost. What can I do to cover myself at work? Could I be fired even if my employer decides to retain less productive people (same cost)? Can I be fired on medical grounds? So far, I don't see any reason for me to be fired. Atleast, not disciplinary or productivity grounds.

Beth3

Your employer doesn't need a reason to fire you. Their only limitation is that you can't be fired for a specifically prohibited reason - i.e. they can't select you for layoff or termination BECAUSE of your race, gender, national origin, age, in retaliation for taking FMLA, for making a WC claim, and so on. If your employer decides to eliminate your position, they are free to do so as long as they don't select you for reduction for a prohibited reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">