• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not allowed to work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jscott388

Kentucky - I work as a door to door sales and we are required to have our on insurance and vehicle (which they never did check to verify insurance). I am salary paid and I was done for the day, heading to a class, and was involved in a car accident. Come to find out my insurance has lapsed. I know I am going to be responsible for it, but the guy I was involved with went to my company, thinking I was in a company vehicle. I contacted the guy told him that I was responsible for my own insurance and vehicle and that company has nothing to do with this. I told him to obtain the police report and wait for the insurance company to come in and do the work. (Didn't know at the time my insurance lapsed). When we both got the letter that my insurance lapsed, he had called me but end up missing his call since I was in a meeting. In the same meeting he called the company back up to get a hold of me I guess. The company was upset that my insurance lapsed and asked if I had insurance on the vehicle I was driving currently, which I did and showed them. They told me that they didn't want me to work until we figure this out. So....

1. Does the company have the right to "put me on leave" I don't even know if its with pay or no pay. The accident happened on my own time.

2. Does the guy have the right to show up at my company to get in contact with me, even though he has my phone number and can get in contact with me? Someone mentioned this is harassment.

3. I spoke with the guy before and I told him the company has no part of this as I only work for them and this is my own vehicle and insurance. I don't even have the company logo on the vehicle. They just saw me in a company jacket with a badge.

4. After the company told me they didn't want me working until they got to the bottom of this. I spoke to the guy told him the company has me on release cause he kept going to them and not through me. I asked what his intention was and he just stated he wanted to do this civil and wasn't into taking it to court and didn't want me to lose my job over something that happened in my own time. The guy is older and does have broken english. So I am thinking he just confused on how to handle this. He hasn't even got a cost of what its going to fix the car.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Yes

2.) Yes, he does and no, it isn't

3.) This is not a question

4.) Neither is this.

ecmst12

Your company is probably not liable for this accident but that doesn't mean they can't be sued and incur legal fees defending themselves. I'd be more surprised if they DIDN'T fire you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">