• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not being rehired after layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t_chelle16

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

About 1 1/2 years ago, I started working at a factory that makes batteries. About 3 months into the job, I got switched to a position that involved a lot of repetitive hand movements and heavy weight. As a result, about 2 weeks after starting that position, I developed wrist pain. I waited a couple weeks and tried wrist braces hoping that would help, but it didn't so I eventually filed an injury report.

I was sent to their corporate doctors and put on light duty for about 3 weeks (seeing the doctor every week until the pain got better). A couple weeks after going back to my regular job, the pain came back. I went back to the corporate doctor and this time, got a doctor I hadn't seen before and he declared my injury wasn't work related (I should add that pretty much everyone doing this particular job had some kind of wrist pain - there were 10 of us at the time and all but 2 were wearing braces).

I eventually was able to bid out to another job that was easier on my wrists and was content. I was actually given the choice to have a hearing to fight the doctor's claim that it wasn't work related, but chose to drop the issue because a) I was fine in my new position and more importantly, b) with the economy crash, my company was starting layoffs and I was terrified that if I got laid off and had fought worker's comp, it would affect my chances of being recalled/rehired.

Fast forward a couple months: I did get laid off (it was a big group lay off so I don't have an issue with that). Their policy is that they will recall people based on seniority for the next 6 months. After that everyone left is officially terminated but will be able to fill out new applications and the hiring will be based on those/performance/team leader recommendations rather than seniority. My recall number was 27. They got to #25 and needed 12 more, but waited another month for the 6 month deadline to be up (part of me feels like it's no coincidence that they waited to fill the positions until the 6 months were up when otherwise I would have been recalled).

I went with everyone else to fill out a new application. I know for a fact that my 2 previous team leaders were recommending me for rehire and even requesting me for their lines. I also only had one absence in the year that I worked there and absolutely no write ups/warnings. I was also trained on several positions and used as a trainer for new hires at least 5 times. Overall, I'd like to think I was a good employee.

Having said that, it's been 4 months since we filled out new applications. I've called several times and been told by HR that I'm on the list of people who are being considered for re-hire. My boyfriend (who works there and is in good with many of the team leaders - ie he basically knows more than he should), had actually seen the list once and did see my name on it, however, about 3 weeks later, he was told by one of the team leaders that my name was removed from the list. That same day when I called to check in with HR, I was told that there was no list (despite being told several times before that my name was on it).

Since then, my boyfriend and I have made several pleas to HR and the plant manager only to be told that my name is on the list (yes, the list magically exists again). And I'm constantly hearing about all the people I worked with before getting rehired (some despite having several absences and poor performance and one lady originally told them she didn't want to come back - which should have been an automatic not-elligible for rehire - but was asked again and then accepted).

And now, just last week, they started accepting outside applications. It baffles my mind that if I am supposedly on this list of people they'll hire back, why would they not hire me when I am already familiar with the company and proven to be a good reliable worker that is already trained on several positions but they'll hire a bunch of people who know absolutely nothing about the place or how to do the job?

The only thing I can possibly think of is my problems with my wrists (my boyfriend said they're really cracking down on injuries now - one guy got wrote up just for accidently cutting his finger). Of course I can't prove anything, but just for my own peace of mind, I'd like to know if my wrist really is the reason they're not hiring me back, is that legal? Again, I know I don't have a case because I can't prove anything, but I'd just like to know that I'm not crazy to feel like I'm being discriminated against and having a workers' comp claim held against me.

Isis1

nothing illegal.

unless you were determined to be disabled, and can prove you were specifically not rehired for being disabled as a protected class, then you are out of luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

About 1 1/2 years ago, I started working at a factory that makes batteries. About 3 months into the job, I got switched to a position that involved a lot of repetitive hand movements and heavy weight. As a result, about 2 weeks after starting that position, I developed wrist pain. I waited a couple weeks and tried wrist braces hoping that would help, but it didn't so I eventually filed an injury report.

I was sent to their corporate doctors and put on light duty for about 3 weeks (seeing the doctor every week until the pain got better). A couple weeks after going back to my regular job, the pain came back. I went back to the corporate doctor and this time, got a doctor I hadn't seen before and he declared my injury wasn't work related (I should add that pretty much everyone doing this particular job had some kind of wrist pain - there were 10 of us at the time and all but 2 were wearing braces).

I eventually was able to bid out to another job that was easier on my wrists and was content. I was actually given the choice to have a hearing to fight the doctor's claim that it wasn't work related, but chose to drop the issue because a) I was fine in my new position and more importantly, b) with the economy crash, my company was starting layoffs and I was terrified that if I got laid off and had fought worker's comp, it would affect my chances of being recalled/rehired.

Fast forward a couple months: I did get laid off (it was a big group lay off so I don't have an issue with that). Their policy is that they will recall people based on seniority for the next 6 months. After that everyone left is officially terminated but will be able to fill out new applications and the hiring will be based on those/performance/team leader recommendations rather than seniority. My recall number was 27. They got to #25 and needed 12 more, but waited another month for the 6 month deadline to be up (part of me feels like it's no coincidence that they waited to fill the positions until the 6 months were up when otherwise I would have been recalled).

I went with everyone else to fill out a new application. I know for a fact that my 2 previous team leaders were recommending me for rehire and even requesting me for their lines. I also only had one absence in the year that I worked there and absolutely no write ups/warnings. I was also trained on several positions and used as a trainer for new hires at least 5 times. Overall, I'd like to think I was a good employee.

Having said that, it's been 4 months since we filled out new applications. I've called several times and been told by HR that I'm on the list of people who are being considered for re-hire. My boyfriend (who works there and is in good with many of the team leaders - ie he basically knows more than he should), had actually seen the list once and did see my name on it, however, about 3 weeks later, he was told by one of the team leaders that my name was removed from the list. That same day when I called to check in with HR, I was told that there was no list (despite being told several times before that my name was on it).

Since then, my boyfriend and I have made several pleas to HR and the plant manager only to be told that my name is on the list (yes, the list magically exists again). And I'm constantly hearing about all the people I worked with before getting rehired (some despite having several absences and poor performance and one lady originally told them she didn't want to come back - which should have been an automatic not-elligible for rehire - but was asked again and then accepted).

And now, just last week, they started accepting outside applications. It baffles my mind that if I am supposedly on this list of people they'll hire back, why would they not hire me when I am already familiar with the company and proven to be a good reliable worker that is already trained on several positions but they'll hire a bunch of people who know absolutely nothing about the place or how to do the job?

The only thing I can possibly think of is my problems with my wrists (my boyfriend said they're really cracking down on injuries now - one guy got wrote up just for accidently cutting his finger). Of course I can't prove anything, but just for my own peace of mind, I'd like to know if my wrist really is the reason they're not hiring me back, is that legal? Again, I know I don't have a case because I can't prove anything, but I'd just like to know that I'm not crazy to feel like I'm being discriminated against and having a workers' comp claim held against me.
You can't force the company to re-hire you.
And, I'd also suggest that your BF starts minding his own business. Or HE might be looking for a job too!

Antigone*

Nothing illegal has happened here. The company cannot be forced to rehire you.

commentator

Yes, it's not your imagination, there are definitely companies that do not rehire people who are laid off if they have previously filed for worker's comp or had health issues or injuries, particularly with those types of injuries that may be due to repetitive motion and may worsen again over time with use, such as carpal tunnel, wrist and back strains.

Since you elected not to contest the doctor's verdict that the injury was not work related, that closed your worker's comp issue. As for recall, they can call back and not call back whoever they choose. And they do seem to have long memories about who's had an injury or condition. Unless they are a union facility and have specific agreements through such a union, they don't even have to call back according to their own stated policy for recall. They don't have to give you a reason. Don't have to tell you where you are on any lists. Don't have to tell you there is a list.

Hot Topic

Your boyfriend is telling you things that you're not entitled to know. Nobody in the company should be telling him ANYTHING.

Last edited by a moderator:

t_chelle16

Wow. Some of you didn't have to be so nasty.

For the 2 of you that actually gave decent answers, thank you. I really did like my old job and the people I worked with and would love to go back but it's just really frustrating knowing that I have no chance now. If I would have known that they could hold it against me like this I never would have filed the initial injury report.

csi7

Work related injuries are the most "unwritten" reason that companies use to save money when doing staff trimming.

It is not illegal.

I have had to submit administrative reports for workplace injuries with all the personal and confidential information removed to ensure that no one would be adversely affected by the injury report itself.

The work related injury report stays in your file, whether or not you are seen by medical personnel. Repetitive motion injuries are reviewed by safety managers, quality assurance managers, and other non-medical personnel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">