• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not getting paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

samnovwar

I work for a 1-900 line and have for 1 and 1/2 months. My first pay check was to be sent to me on the 1st of Sept. and I still have not recieved it. The number that I was given to reach my "boss" is only a voicemail and I have left several messages but have not even recieved a call back. What kind of legal steps can I take and what type of attorney do I need to contact. I did fill out a 1099 tax form and signed a contract so I thought that they were lagitamate.

L

loku

It sounds like you are an independent contractor for this and not an employee. If that is the case, then your recourse would be to sue the company in small claims court.

If you do decide to go to small claims, I suggest you go to our material on small claims on our home page. Read that, then go to our State Law Center and you can get specific forms and info from the small claims court in your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">