• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not given all the job facts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ibefree

I live in Texas. Is an employer required to inform you of benefits either in writing or verbally when offering a job. I took a job this year working at a church school in charge of fundraising, grant writing, etc. I took a $21k a year pay cut in just salary not to mention other benefits I lost. I did this in order to spend more time w/my children. I spoke at great length about having more time w/my children in the interview. I was told the Friday before spring break that I do NOT have the time off when the school is closed. I get 2 wks vacation which is LESS THAN what I had at my previous job. I told the minister in charge that I could not afford my 4 kids in day care at $320/wk on this pay. The whole reason I took the job was to spend more time w/my kids. I had to resign as it was impossible to afford day care and pay normal expenses - - there would be NO money for utilities and food after day care. I rec'd letter from hiring minister that says he DID NOT mention this was a 12 month position. He says he thought it was "understood". When I spoke to him in person all he could say is we "assumed" you knew. Do I have grounds for a case?

Question #2 - the secretary for the church was at my in-laws (this is after I had resigned) and was telling my sister-in-law that they were even paying pay of my insurance. I had arranged for assistance w/COBRA pmt until the 90 days were up before I could get on their insurance. This type of info should be confidential. I never told this lady of this arrangement so either the bookkeeper or the minister told her. Do I have grounds for a case?

What type of labor law attorney do I need to look for?

Needless to day, I'm upset, I feel like I was betrayed cheated and I could just go on. My hair is falling out because I'm so upset but I can't afford to find a "shrink" and talk things out because I'm still looking for a job. I can't talk to my pastor - he's the jerk involved in this issue. I'm so upset that I haven't been to church since this all fell apart.

Please advise
Thanks

A

Attorney_Replogle

You are right in that you do need to see an attorney near you about this. However, don't use the term Labor law attorney because in the profession that denotes an attorney who represents the employer. You need an attorney who represents the employees. That type of an attorney is called an employment law attorney. You can find one near you at https://attorneypages.com

Or, just look in the yellow pages or call the local bar association for their directory.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">