• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not hired because of pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pregnantdue2004

What is the name of your state? california

isn't this discrimination? is it legal for her to ask if i was pregnant?

i went to an interview yesterday for an office job. supervisor kept looking at my tummy througout the whole interview. she told me they needed someone asap and have 3 candidates and will be making their decision tomorrow (w/ch is today). interview went well and she took me to her supervisor right afterwards. the interview seemed to go well too.

today, i got a call saying that they liked me but they had one concern. she asked if i was pregnant. i said yes. she asked how far along...i said about 7 months. she was concerned and said that she would have to talk with her supervisor about my situation and she'll call me back. she called back about a couple minutes later telling me that to keep her number so that after i have my baby i could apply again.

isn't this discrimination? is it legal for her to ask if i was pregnant?
how can i prove that i have been discriminated against if this happened through a phone conversation?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not illegal for her to ask if you were pregnant. Unwise, but not illegal.

However, it is illegal for her to use the fact that you are pregnant in determining who is and is not to be hired.

You can file a complaint with the EEOC and/or your state discrimination board. You don't need to provide the proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">