• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not hired due to background check and not given reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whome3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was offered a job thru a temp agency and as a result quit the job I had at that time ( also a temp job)

5 days later, the agency called to say that the employer rescinded their offer due to findings on a background check that was a conflict of interest, and the employer would send me a letter disclosing the details.

I was denied umemployment because I left a job, and have yet to receive the reason for not wanting me to work.

Since this was thru a temp agency, I emailed them asking to get the reason, and have had no response.

Any suggestions?

commentator

Reapply to the other temp job, the one you quit.

Your unemployment denial had nothing to do with the reason you were not picked up on the new job. You voluntarily quit your old job for a reason not related to that job. In fact a personal reason, you thought you had another job.

The moral of this story is, of course, do not leave your old job until you have the very firm offer and a date to begin, know you have passed all the screening tests. Then work at the old job till immediately before you start the new one. Notice is not required on a temp assignment.

Be sure you are still in the loop right now for other assignments from the temp agency(ies).

If it hasn't been too long, you may yet receive a letter from the worksite employer as the agency suggested you would. If you don't hear, I'd call the temporary agency again, and tell them that since you have not heard, you are going to contact the company's human resources department and explain to them that you were told by your temp agency that you would be notified by the company about the reason you were not put to work.

It seems very unlikely to me that the employer would be the ones responsible for making this notification to you in the first place.

You can say very reasonably that you feel there may be some sort of error if you really believe there was nothing in your background check that would be a problem, like a former felony conviction. IF this is really the case.

If you know darn well what it is on your background check that might be causing you problems, and you just want to know for sure so you can whine and argue about it, then don't waste the time. They can if they wish, refuse to put you to work for about anything. They really do not have to tell you why or listen to you argue.

Last edited:

whome3

Reapply to the other temp job, the one you quit.

Your unemployment denial had nothing to do with the reason you were not picked up on the new job. You voluntarily quit your old job for a reason not related to that job. In fact a personal reason, you thought you had another job.

The moral of this story is, of course, do not leave your old job until you have the very firm offer and a date to begin, know you have passed all the screening tests. Then work at the old job till immediately before you start the new one. Notice is not required on a temp assignment.

Be sure you are still in the loop right now for other assignments from the temp agency(ies).

If it hasn't been too long, you may yet receive a letter from the worksite employer as the agency suggested you would. If you don't hear, I'd call the temporary agency again, and tell them that since you have not heard, you are going to contact the company's human resources department and explain to them that you were told by your temp agency that you would be notified by the company about the reason you were not put to work.

It seems very unlikely to me that the employer would be the ones responsible for making this notification to you in the first place.

You can say very reasonably that you feel there may be some sort of error if you really believe there was nothing in your background check that would be a problem, like a former felony conviction. IF this is really the case.

If you know darn well what it is on your background check that might be causing you problems, and you just want to know for sure so you can whine and argue about it, then don't waste the time. They can if they wish, refuse to put you to work for about anything. They really do not have to tell you why or listen to you argue.
I appreciate your response, but don't need the "lesson" talk. FYI , I was sent an email with the offer, and details for the start of the job, and sent paperwork for auto deposit and asked for an addition ID. I intervied at the employers place in additioin to the temp agency and was not informed that there was any outstanding info that would impact their offer.

The temp agency was told by the employer that there was a conflict of interest and would not say more to them, and I have no clue what this is all about, since I have no criminal background and a decent credit report.

I am aware why I was denied UE but I am also upset that I have no reason behind why I am not working at the job that was offered.

I have no income, and the first agency will not rehire me, and the other agency has not offered my any other work.

Isn;t it the law to disclose why I was rejected?

whome3

so the Fair Credit Reporting Act is no longer valid??

I know that there is a statement in the consent that covers being notified when denied due to info found in a background check... or is this not really required, or perhaps you are not understanding the question??

Mass_Shyster

so the Fair Credit Reporting Act is no longer valid??

I know that there is a statement in the consent that covers being notified when denied due to info found in a background check... or is this not really required, or perhaps you are not understanding the question??
A credit check is not the only background check employers do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">