• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not hired due to slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

travelmantodd

I currently work for company A and a coworker works for company B on the same project. I recently applied for a position with company B for another project. The hiring team told me specifically they were extremely interested in hiring me. The following day, company B had an official "all-hands" meeting and my name came up as a possible new employee. When asked if anyone knew me, the coworker volunteered and immediately slammed me in front of everyone by stating that my work ethic was terrible, my attitude was pathetic, and that I cause multiple problems on the current project (which is all untrue). The following day I received a letter from Company B stating that I did not meet the employment requirements (which is absolutely not true). I have an exceptional record, I have been praised on all annual reviews for outstanding teamwork, great attitude...all that good stuff. It is in writing.
The individual who slammed me is also in a lower position than I am in.
I am interested in pursueing this as slander to the employee's employer. Is this a good idea??

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You didn't mention your state but let's put it this way: if untrue statements are said to third parties and they are damaging to your business rep/profession it is slander per se and you are entitled to statutory damages. This is so so that you don't have to prove actual damage, although the rejection letter is a good piece of that evidence.

One question: how do you know these things were said about you?

T

travelmantodd

I am overseas working for an American Company.
I know the statements that were said because other employees who work on the same project as myself, but work for Company B, were present at the meeting. They reported it back to me the day after it happened. The problem is that the employees probably would not be willing to write down the statements since it would essentially be hanging "one of their own."
Would defamation charges work against the company since the person was speaking as an official company representative or are the charges against the employee?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">