• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not looking to do anything, just wondering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momcobb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

My husband was recently offered a job by a company. Now there never got to the actual letter of offer, just a verbal offer.

This job was through a headhunter. On a Friday, they said he had to bring in some paper work and get a form for the drug test. He had to set up an apt. with a lady. He tried calling her on Friday and got no response, not even voice mail. He tried to call her early on Monday and the same thing happened.

About an hour later, the headhunter called and said they had pulled the job. (Now this is a Japanese Co. and I'm not against them, my husband worked for one in SF.) The headhunter was dismayed and said that this never happened. So, we just let it go.

The headhunter called back a couple of hours later and she said she had talked to the other people in her office and they were all dismayed, but said they thought it was because of the company he worked for in SF.

My husband emailed the person in HR and asked about what happened. (He was wondering if somehow he had done something to make them change their mind.) He got a formal email later that day that pretty much said that sine there was never an official offer letter that was that. (There was more legal stuff but don't recall.)

My husband went to another interview yesterday, and after talking to them, they came to the same conclusion that it was because of the company he worked for in SF and some licensing rules and such.

Like I said don't want to do anything and again, no official letter, so we let it go. But, inquiring mind that I have, if it was because of the job in SF, would this be unfair hiring practice?

I like to learn, that's really why I am asking. And this place seems to be better at getting answers than searching the whole internet.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on the information you have provided, which may or may not be the whole story (not accusing you of leaving things out - you may not know the whole story) no, it would not be.

momcobb

Not looking to do anything

I only left out the part about the legal talk in the letter they sent. which it really the only information we got about the job. The rest was just speculation by others.

And no, we don't know the whole story and probably never will. It really doesn't matter to us. Like I said, I like learning and was just asking.

Thanks for the answer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unfair hiring practices, just so you know, have to do with race, religion, national origin, and other characteristics protected by law. Not previous employers. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">