• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not offered Severance package

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jadoube

This question concerns labor law in Oklahoma.

I managed an IT organization. The controlling partner decided to outsource our system to a third party and eliminate our IT staff.

Because the company needed to keep the current staff in place until the cutover to the new system, they offered them 3 months salary to stay until the cutover to the new system and then offered to keep them on salary without duties or responsibilities and full medical benefits for 3 more months or until they found new work. The cutover occured on Feb 28, 2007. They are all still on salary and are eligible to be until the end of May. They received the incentive bonus, plus their vacation was paid out, etc.

I was told I would be kept on specifically at the request of my boss, who had other tasks and duties he wanted me to take over. This was approved by the company President.

Just a few days ago I was told my position had been eliminated because all my duties had been outsourced. I was given 2 weeks notice, a severance of of 3.5 weeks and an additional 9k, but this was not anywhere close to what the other staff was offered.

Is this legal? It seems like they are just not wanting to have to offer me the same deal everyone else got.

Thanks.

P.S. Last November I had emergency back surgery, have had to go to Physical Therapy for several months (and miss work), have radiculopathy and am partially disabled now.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">