• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not So Fast, Hiring Delay . . . Please Advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spazmo jones

What is the name of your state?New York State - I signed and returned via fax a job offer letter detailing my compensation and responsibilities. I was about to give notice when I was called by my "new" company to hold off for a "few days" while they put everything together.

It has now been two weeks and I have not heard from them. My calls are not returned. I'm afraid everything is off the table for reasons unknown to me. I am searching for advice as to the binding nature of this signed fax accepting the job.

Any feedback is appreciated

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Without seeing the document it's impossible to say for certain, but it is quite unlikely that it represents a binding contract.

Since you had not given your notice yet, you have not suffered any damages so you have no basis to sue, if that is what you were thinking. But you are free to continue your job search; even as they are free to withdraw their offer for whatever reason, you are free to withdraw your acceptance.

spazmo jones

Little more info . . .

Thanks so much for your reply. Here's a little more info . . .

I was told by the HR representative that faxing it would make everything "official" and I was free to give my notice. The hiring manager then called and said to hold off, as stated earlier, that was 2 weeks ago.

I do want to work there and am frustrated at this delay. I am just trying to find out if I have any legal options in the event that this falls apart.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. You do not.

As I said, since you had in fact not given your notice, you have no damages as the law sees damages. Barring a bona fide contract (and it is almost certain that the faxed document is only an offer letter and not a contract) they are free to withdraw the offer at any time and you are free to seek employment elsewhere.

Beth3

I'm sure it is frustrating but I agree with cbg. You have no legal recourse. Just be thankful you hadn't yet given notice when they withdrew the offer. I suggest you continue your job search. For reasons that almost certainly have nothing to do with you, the job is no longer available. Too bad they haven't had the courtesy to return your calls and explain but perhaps they can't. Maybe a major customer suddenly withdrew and they're about to have a layoff and they don't want that news to leak. Maybe there's a major re-org about to take place. You wouldn't want to get caught up in any of that, especially since "last in, first out" is commonplace. You may discover down the road that the job offer being withdrawn is a good thing, even if it doesn't seem like that now.

Good luck.

Beth3

You're welcome. I speak from experience. Four or five years ago I interviewed several times for a position that I very much desired. Shortly thereafter, the opening was put on hold and I was terribly disappointed. I discovered several months later that the company was exeriencing some serious economic difficulties, had several massive layoffs, and I don't think is in business today.

Wow, was I ever glad I DIDN'T get that job. You just never know how things are going to turn out until you get down the road a piece.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">