• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if this should be here or unde discrimination of a felon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PCR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I recently applied for an entry level management job with a company and on the application it asked if I had even been convicted yes or no I checked yes. I received a call from one of the upper managers and she stated that the background came back showing a felony and she asked me to write out a disription of the crime and said she would see if her company could make an exception depending on what the exact circumstances and charges were. After several weeks of calling and emailing her she finally said that her H.R. dept. said they couldn't hire me because of my felony.

I told her she couldn't rufuse to hire me jus be cause of my felony background and that I was going to get a lawyer and she her and her company. If she didn't hire me jus cause of my background doesn't that mean they can't have anyone with any sort of a criminal background working for them? Can you please tell me what I need to do to sue them for not hiring me cus of my record? Is there a way to sue them that won't cost me.

Thanks.

Proserpina

I recently applied for an entry level management job with a company and on the application it asked if I had even been convicted yes or no I checked yes. I received a call from one of the upper managers and she stated that the background came back showing a felony and she asked me to write out a disription of the crime and said she would see if her company could make an exception depending on what the exact circumstances and charges were. After several weeks of calling and emailing her she finally said that her H.R. dept. said they couldn't hire me because of my felony.

I told her she couldn't rufuse to hire me jus be cause of my felony background and that I was going to get a lawyer and she her and her company. If she didn't hire me jus cause of my background doesn't that mean they can't have anyone with any sort of a criminal background working for them? Can you please tell me what I need to do to sue them for not hiring me cus of my record? Is there a way to sue them that won't cost me.

Thanks.
What was the nature of the company, and what was the nature of the felony?

PCR

It was a janatorial business going to this companies customers businesses to clean them. I was charged with a felony grand theft.

cyjeff

I was not aware of "felon" being a protected class :confused:
It is, but only in one state. That state isn't Florida.

Even in that state, a janitorial job would give a felon convicted of grand theft far too much opportunity to return to old habits.

Therefore, even there, the felon would have been legally denied.

Regardless...

It was perfectly legal for the company do decide they did not want to risk letting a convicted thief loose on their customers... under the company's liability.

Proserpina

It is, but only in one state. That state isn't Florida.

Even in that state, a janitorial job would give a felon convicted of grand theft far too much opportunity to return to old habits.

Therefore, even there, the felon would have been legally denied.

Regardless...

It was perfectly legal for the company do decide they did not want to risk letting a convicted thief loose on their customers... under the company's liability.

I heartily concur.

PCR

So they can refuse to hire me jus cause I made a mistake in life that i paid for. What about if I can find that they have some people working for them with a criminal background but they wouldn't hire me. She said with my felony it could be a problem if their customers found out about my past for their company. Isn't that discrimination of me?

cyjeff

So they can refuse to hire me jus cause I made a mistake in life that i paid for. What about if I can find that they have some people working for them with a criminal background but they wouldn't hire me. She said with my felony it could be a problem if their customers found out about my past for their company. Isn't that discrimination of me?
I will take your questions in order.

Yes, they can refuse to hire you because you are a convicted felon.

How they treat other employees means nothing unless you can prove that that treatment is a direct result of your inclusion in a legally identified class....such as race, sex, national origin... etc...

I agree with that statement.

Yes, it is discrimination. However, most discrimination is legal.

las365

I told her she couldn't rufuse to hire me jus be cause of my felony background and that I was going to get a lawyer and she her and her company.
Maybe your poor spelling had something to do with their decision to decline to put you into a management training program. Maybe they'd like to have a manager for their janitorial business who can spell "janitorial."

Maybe you confirmed that they had made the right decision when you threatened to sue them.

The manager tried to help you. That's more than a lot of people would do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">