• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what this falls under...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

junoak77

Hi,

I quit my State of AK job a month ago due to previously diagnosed clinical depression that became acutely severe. My reputed Seattle psychiatrist suggested i quit several months earlier, but I tried to hang on because I didn't want lose my insurance as my medicine costs a ton.

The day after i quit, I filed for unemployment insurance citing depression and was denied all benefits because I was deemed not able to work.

To help improve mental & career situation, I moved to Seattle (closer to my doctor) and started taking IT courses. These actions improved my mood so I claimed unemployment again saying I felt I was able to work. I was told I would have to wait 7 weeks because I did not give a "good" reason to quit originally.

Basically, I feel my clinical depression has been written off as 'laziness' or whatever. I resent this and feel I have been wronged.

Do I have any legal ground to stand on? How about damages? I am almost broke, so what are the chances someone would take this case on contingency?

Thanks, Ian

Beth3

You voluntarily quit your job. That means that you aren't eligible for UC benefits.

Basically, I feel my clinical depression has been written off as 'laziness' or whatever. I resent this and feel I have been wronged. No, it's not. There are two legal issues here under UC reg's: (1) you quit which almost always disqualifies someone from receiving unemployment, and (2) whether you were medically capable of working. If you quit because you were too depressed to work, then by definition you aren't eligible for UC benefits. At a minimum, claimants must be physically capable and available to work.

Do I have any legal ground to stand on? No.

How about damages? What damages?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">