• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where this should go..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina.... Last year, I had some personal issues with my husband that caused me to miss a few days of work. I informed the HR lady and my immediate boss of the issue. The HR lady saw the need to inform the head guy in NC about the issue. Well the long and short of it is, the head guy in NC went on a fishing trip with an Owner of the project we were working on and told them about my personal issue in a very hey guess what kind of matter.

One of the employees on the fishing trip just told me about it today and I'm livid. What are the consequences for a manager who tells personal information he was entrusted with because he is a manager. This man is not my friend and obviously shouldn't be a supervisor either. What, if anything, can I do? I don't want him to just recieve a slap on the wrist, but after talking with HR it seems as though that's all he's going to get. Is there anything I can legally do? Is there a punishment for him that is not just a slap on the wrist?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, there is no legal action you can take. Your expectations of privacy in the workplace are minimal. Even medical information, which does have some expectation of privacy, loses that expectation if you personally give your manager the information. Personal information does not have even an expectation of privacy under the law.

A slap on the wrist is the most you can expect and more than is legally due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">