• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

notice for mass layoffs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ALeau

I was recently hired for a temporary position as cashier for linens n things in California. The store i was hired for was just opening, and for 2 weeks all anyone did was unpack boxes and set up displays. Though I was told there was a possibility of being laid off at the 3 month point, I think almost half of the 75+ employees (including myself) were laid off after just 2 - 3weeks. The company first told me I was "on call" and then I received a call from a manager a few days later telling me I had been "let go". My question is, should I have received 60 days warning prior to being laid off, since I believe it was a mass lay off? It seems they only used us for labor of setting up the store, and then many were let go after it was complete. Is that legal :confused: ? By the way, I live in California. Thanks for your help in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Half of 75 employees is not enough to qualify it as a mass layoff under the Federal definition. If California has a different definition, I cannot find it on their web site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">