• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice Period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Karbi

What is the name of your state?California.

I work for a company whose registered office is in Virginia. But I am working now at a client site in CA. I got another offer and I would like to resign from the present company. I have given 1 week notice. But the my company is insisting on 4 weeks notice period to do the knowledge transfer, as the current project is in critical stage. I cannot give 4 weeks notice period, as I will be losing the other opportunity.

What are the legal impilcations on me , if I leave my current company after 1 week and join another company.

Rgds
Karbi

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Unless you're working under some type of contract, then the reality of the situation is that you don't need to give your employer any "notice" at all if you don't want to. They can "insist" all they want, but Virginia is an "at will" employment State.

While it would be nice that you acceded to their request for 4 weeks, there's nothing that says you're legally obligated to do so.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I agree; unless contractually bound, you have no legal obligation to provide any notice at all. They have no legal standing to demand four weeks, or two weeks, or any notice.

However, in providing references in future, your employer is perfectly free to refer to the fact that you failed to give sufficient notice to provide the knowledge transfer.

K

Karbi

VA

Thank you for the replies.

At the time of joining the company, I signed the offer letter on a company letter head saying that 'I have read, understood and agree with the terms stated in this letter.'

One of the terms says

"During the initial twelve months of the agreement period you will be governed by the terms contained therein. After the expiration of the agreement, either party may terminate the agreement by providing 4 weeks notice in writing."

Will this cause any problem ?

Thanks in advance
Karbi

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Karbi said:
VA

Thank you for the replies.

At the time of joining the company, I signed the offer letter on a company letter head saying that 'I have read, understood and agree with the terms stated in this letter.'

One of the terms says

"During the initial twelve months of the agreement period you will be governed by the terms contained therein. After the expiration of the agreement, either party may terminate the agreement by providing 4 weeks notice in writing."

Will this cause any problem ?

Thanks in advance
Karbi

My response:

. . . and, for some unknown reason, you didn't think that this was important enough to state in your initial post?

Good luck, pal.

IAAL

K

Karbi

Honestly I totally forgot that I signed anything like that...because it was six years back. The current company reminded me that I I have to give 4 weeks notice. THen I saerched for the 6 year old offer letter and I posted in the forum.

Regards
Karbi

Beth3

An offer letter isn't a contract. Unless you and the employer entered into an employment CONTRACT, you do not have to give four weeks notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">