• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice period as per Labor Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rahul85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
I work a IT Company and currently on working visa.
I got a big jolt when i came to know that 3 months is the termination policy.This is completely absurd as no company which is offering will wait for 3months for recruiting.
What is the maximum notice period allowed as per law for relieving from the company.

ecmst12

Do you have an actual contract that spells out consequences if ypu don't give 3 months notice? If not, you have no obligation to comply. If so, you agreed to it when you signed the contract. The law does not restrict this matter.

swalsh411

Slavery has been outlawed for some time. Unless you have an actual employment contract (highly unlikely), you can leave at any time.

If so, you agreed to it when you signed the contract.
No Court would enforce a contract provision that requires people to work against their will.

OHRoadwarrior

Slavery has been outlawed for some time. Unless you have an actual employment contract (highly unlikely), you can leave at any time.
Companies that import foreigners on H1 visas for substandard wages sometimes contractually obligate them to things like this. It protects the indentured servants from taking other US jobs on their nickle.

justalayman

No Court would enforce a contract provision that requires people to work against their will.
Of course if there is a contract, while the company could not force them to actually work for them, the company could sue for breach of contract and seek either the damages specified in the contract or actual damages.

And yes, such contract clauses are often held to be quite enforceable.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Labor law does not address this question. You can give no notice or twenty years notice. The law doesn't care either way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">