• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice of Unemployment Compensation Hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyberaww

What is the name of your state? Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I was terminated from Walgreens about 2 month ago now I receive a letter stating they are going to challange my unemployment. I need to know if I should seek legal counsel or just go to the hearing and represent myself? I was told I was fired due to being late and I don't see how they can fight my unemployment but then again I don't know the law about what qualifies as challangable reasons to fight unemployment. Any advice our law offices in Florida would be great.

Robert :confused:

Beth3

Engaging an attorney to attend a UC hearing is an unnecessary expense. The UC hearing process is specifically set up so neither party needs legal representation. Go to the hearing, answer the questions the Administrative Law Judge puts to you and then go home and wait for a decision. The ALJ will ensure all parties are heard and all relevant testimony and evidence are presented at the hearing. You do not have to be "Perry Mason" or bring him along to successfully navigate a UC hearing.

Your employer is free to contest the decision and file for a hearing, just as you had been if the initial determination had denied benefits. Whether or not the ALJ will grant benefits depends upon a number of facts that aren't in evidence here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, I am not in your state but I have had employees denied benefits on the basis of excessive absences/tardies when I didn't even contest unemployment benefits. It will depend on whether IN YOUR SPECIFIC INSTANCE the ALJ determines that your tardies met the definition of misconduct, or not, as defined in your state law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">