• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nurse Sign-on Bonus unpaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

msgsfrommindy

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I was hired by a home health agency as a full-time RN, on January 10, 2005. When I was hired, it had been advertised in the newspaper and confirmed by my immediate supervisor and the administrator, that I would receive a $3000.00 Sign-On Bonus, with the first $1500.00 being paid at 6 months and the other half, being paid at 12 months.

My last paycheck was July 29th, that being for the previous two week pay period, which included July 10, '05 (6 months). Before I knew that I was to be terminated, I asked when the bonus would be received...Iwas told "in the 7/29 paycheck". My boss was standing there when payroll told me. When I received my 7/29 direct deposit notice in the mail, the bonus check was not there, or accounted for. I contacted Payroll, without response. I contacted HR a couple of days later, and HR was going to "look into it again". I did not received the promised sign-on bonus, and to date have not heard any further from the company about it. I have returned all company supplies and equipment, etc., in good order.

My termination was just one of many employees either being fired or quitting, within the last 6 months. I was one of the nurses that had "been there the longest", after only 6 1/2 months! On July 27th, my boss gave me a "poor performance" evaluation with immediate termination, due to three "serious issues" that I have presented factual rebuttal to and stated what the actual truths were. My boss was actually making assumptions of circumstances that were "second-hand assumptions". I was told my boss had done that, "trying to build a case". I had not been reprimanded or had problems brought to my attention, until about 1.5 weeks before termination.

Although I am relieved not to be in that environment anymore, I also was not granted my one week vacation or accrued 40 hours of PTO time for the 6 months I was there (which I was not aware that would be available to me until 7/25). I understood that was not "cashed out". Unfortunate as that is, I accept that. But, since I am not employed at the moment, I definitely need the sign-on bonus for living expenses, etc.

Would you please advise me if it is legal for my employer to withhold the promised "sign-on bonus"/what other recourse do I have or what action(s) should I take at this point.

Thank you! Disheartened Nurse

Last edited:

It sounds like that company is duping nurses with a sign-on bonus with no intention of ever paying it. I would take that one to the Dept of Labor. Do you know the names and numbers of other fired nurses that didn't receive their bonuses? A group complaint would be best.

I'm curious tho... how could you accrue 1 week of vacation and 40 hrs of PTO after only being employed for 6 months? If they told you that up front then I think you need to revisit the old adage.... if it sounds too good to be true...

Last edited:

msgsfrommindy

Reply to JackieW999

The vacation and PTO days were accrued during the first 6 months...salaried.

Also, is it good advice to qoute "if it sounds too good to be true...." from a woman that is having a relationship at work, with her boss and looking for other "bonuses"....and is now "mad"?????

He makes "men" look bad, and women need to watch out and not become/play victim to predators like that.....it only validates what they do, and can "get away with"...it is just a game to him, no feelings.

Thanks for the reply anyway....

Last edited:
msgsfrommindy said:
The vacation and PTO days were accrued during the first 6 months...salaried.

Also, is it good advice to qoute "if it sounds too good to be true...." from a woman that is having a relationship at work, with her boss and looking for other "bonuses"....and is now "mad"?????

He makes "men" look bad, and women need to watch out and not become/play victim to predators like that.....it only validates what they do, and can "get away with"...it is just a game to him, no feelings.

Thanks for the reply anyway....
Neveragain77 was the one having a relationship w/ boss.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=1053789#post1053789

JackieW999 had a question about unemployment benefits.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=265034

Thanks, ipritch.... good catch!

Nurse... all I'm saying is that the company sounds like they dupe nurses into taking their jobs with bonuses and PTO that's too good to be true, then they terminate them before having to pay any of it out. That's a good case to take to the DOL.

msgsfrommindy

Sorry JackieW

Sorry that I gave you the "riot act" about another's problem....I was hoping to hear from a Senior Member to know how to handle the problem with the bonus.
I need legal advice ....and was not wanting to get into chat room discussion, I guess like I started with you!...ha! Sorry again.

msgsfrommindy said:
Sorry that I gave you the "riot act" about another's problem....I was hoping to hear from a Senior Member to know how to handle the problem with the bonus.
I need legal advice ....and was not wanting to get into chat room discussion, I guess like I started with you!...ha! Sorry again.
No problem. I know I'm new here and I also wanted expert advice on quitting my own job because I can't exactly ask my professional contacts about that... you know? LOL And having "good cause" is always a gray area.

But I've been in the HR field for 7 years. The DOL is free and I think it would be a great place for you to start. A lawyer would cost you more than the $1,500 you're seeking!

panzertanker

Nurse:
Look at your contract. I have had many sign on bonuses in the past, and they are for "successful comletion of one year of service".
This means that they may be able to get out of paying you the bonus b/c it is for one year of service, which you did not comlete. I would suspect, if this is the case, that if they HAD given you the first half, they would have tried to get it back from you.

Look at your contract. The answer lies there...

msgsfrommindy

Reply to Senior Member

The agreement was for $3000.00 Sign-on Bonus....$1500.00 after the first 6 months and then the other 1/2 (1500.00) after completing 12 months of service (1 year).
I completed the first 6 months on July 10th, and was later terminated on July27th.

Do you think I am entitled to the $1500.00, by how the agrement was stated?

Do you think the DOL would be the "person" who could give me the best advice on this?

Thank you!

Hi Panzertanker... in her original post it looks as though she has no contract and that it was all verbal and in a classified ad. That's why I suggested that she group with other fired nurses in the same boat that she's in and go to the DOL. They may be able to get them their $$$, or at the very least, get the company to stop making those bogus offers.

msgsfrommindy

It was written by my boss, on a document, while I was sitting there....what the "fee per visit", hourly rate and then the bonus. I don't have a copy, wasn't offered, but I am going to e-mail the HR (before she leaves too, she quit...said it was due to wanting to stay home with a new baby..as 2 other children, but told someone else..."I can't stand it"!)..ha! and get a copy sent or faxed to me...guess that could have been "fixed" or changed by now...I signed the original though.

msgsfrommindy

Please, I need a reply from another Senior Member

I need professional, legal advice about the non-paid 6 month Sign-on bonus, from my original letter.....I have requested the documents that stated those terms. Thanks!

rmet4nzkx

Since the wording was dependent upon successful completion of 1 year, even if you have received the 1st installment after 6 months you could still be required to pay it back or they could withhold that from your final paycheck. Without a copy of that contract it will be difficult proving the agreement although the DOL may be of some assistance, same for the vacation and other fringe benefits. If they had such a high turn over, didn't you see the writing on the wall?

msgsfrommindy

Thanks for replying,

I have not been paid anything, that is what I am trying to pursue....

Also, it was not for "employment for one year". It was a $3000.00 Sign-On bonus, with $1500.00 to be paid after 6 months, and then the balance at one year. I was NEVER PAID, the first $1500.00, and that was due on 7-10-05. I was terminated on 7-27-05. I am just trying to GET the $1500.00 that was promised to me, after 6 months.....

Thanks for your replies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">