• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offer of employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Russell5000

I live in Washington State. Recently I received a verbal offer of employment through a headhunter. Although the offer was close, I came back with a counter offer. The headhunter, after submitting my counter offer, advise me that the employer had run across a new candidate with similar qualifications who would take the position for less than their original offer to me. I then called and left voice mail to those who interviewed me that I would accept their original offer. Is the employer bound by their original offer to me?

D

D. D. Lessenberry

By changing the terms of the original offer, you made a counteroffer, which nullified the original offer.

In addition, no contract of employment is guaranteed without offer, acceptance, "meeting of the minds," consideration (in this case, salary agreement) and form of agreement (anything over $500 must be in writing to be valid).

--APPLIED BUSINESS LAW, Fisk & Mietus, SouthWestern Publishing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">