• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

offer for employment recinded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fishbites4me

I am in california

I am a contractor/consultant who recieved an verbal offer to work for a period of 3 months at a specific rate of pay (this was done in a voicemail which I saved). This was followed up by an email giving a start date. I arrived on the agreed date and after 2 hours of conversation and being introduced around the company I was told that the necessary paperwork was not completed by the hiring manager. I was asked if I could return a few days later to start and I agreed. Over the course of the next day I was sent an agreement (by the companies HR department) which I filled out signed and returned via fax. Now the company is recinding the offer. I have been on hold and not pursuing work as I waited for them. In the initial offer the hiring manager knew I was considering another offer and actually stated "do not take that other offer I can give you the same rate". This has caused me financial and emotional hardship. Do I have any recourse?

Last edited:

Beth3

You need to speak to a local attorney and discuss whether you have a claim for detrimental reliance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">