• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offer of employment rescinded...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjmanners

Washington State
I hope someone can help me answer this question, becuase I am at a loss....I was offered a job contingent on my background check, references, drug test, etc...and 3 days before I was to start I was told that the offer was being rescinded. She would not tell me why, even when I asked her for specifics. My question is: Do I have a legal right to know why the offer was rescinded?
My references were excellent according to them, I have nothing on my background check, no criminal history, I had excelled at both interviews. I have HIV, but am pretty healthy and don't look sick. I didn't tell them this, as I felt it was none of their business. I'm wondering if the medicines that I take for the HIV showed up on the drug test I took 3.5 weeks ago for them. Wouldn't they have called me to ask if something showed up or no? I'm looking again for a job and have interviews scheduled for next week, but now I'm nervous about what happened and what the reason was as to why I didn't get that job. Will something come up when I apply somewhere else and if so, what will it be? How can I explain or defend myself if I don't know the basis of why they rescinded the offer.
Sorry so wordy, but would really appreciate some advice on this.

Thank you very much for any help, Karen:confused:

Last edited:

Beth3

Do I have a legal right to know why the offer was rescinded? No.

I'm wondering if the medicines that I take for the HIV showed up on the drug test I took 3.5 weeks ago for them Highly unlikely. Pre-employment drug tests don't test for any and all drugs - they test for specific prohibited substances such as narcotics, cocaine, marijuana and so on. And if something had shown up on the drug screen, the test lab's medical review officer would have called you to inquire about it so he/she could rule out any legitimately prescribed medication being taken in the proper dosages.

Karen, I understand this is terribly frustrating but it's going to remain a puzzle without an answer. Maybe at the last minute the CEO dictated that his nephew get the job or the company lost a big customer and the position was eliminated. The reason the offer was pulled might not have anything to do with you.

Good luck.

xylene

Do I have a legal right to know why the offer was rescinded? No.

I'm wondering if the medicines that I take for the HIV showed up on the drug test I took 3.5 weeks ago for them Highly unlikely. Pre-employment drug tests don't test for any and all drugs - they test for specific prohibited substances such as narcotics, cocaine, marijuana and so on. And if something had shown up on the drug screen, the test lab's medical review officer would have called you to inquire about it so he/she could rule out any legitimately prescribed medication being taken in the proper dosages.

Karen, I understand this is terribly frustrating but it's going to remain a puzzle without an answer. Maybe at the last minute the CEO dictated that his nephew get the job or the company lost a big customer and the position was eliminated. The reason the offer was pulled might not have anything to do with you.

Good luck.
Beth3 is absolutely right.

I would also tender that company that does this crap may not be a good place to work.

Maybe they are floundering, maybe the manager who was hiring you is about to get canned...

Be positive; you dodged a bullet.

kjmanners

Thank you for the answers...

This is Karen. I wrote the blog about having my job offer rescinded at the last minute and if I had a legal right to know why. Thanks much to both of you for your words of wisdom and encouragement. It has been incredibly frustrating, but I am moving forward and trying to keep up a positive attitude, even though at times it's hard...Thanks again, Karen:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">