• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offer Letter states one thing and now......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlackJackal

What is the name of your state?Alabama

I was recently hired on by a very large organization that is (according to many people) one of the most desirable companies to work for. In the hiring process I talked to my boss about the schedule and how the schedule would change. I asked him what my schedule would be and he gave me two options- 8-5 Saturday-Wednesday and 2-11 Monday through Friday. I accepted the 2-11 Monday through friday and told him that I could not take the other because I only get to see my kids every other weekend. I also asked him if there were shift bids or how often the shifts changed. He said that there were no shift bids and that I could stay on the same shift until another came open that I wanted to get (only if someone with higher senority didn't get it first). Anyways last week a shift bid occured and I being the person with least senority got the last shift 12:30-9:30 M,Tu,W,Fr,Sa. I went to him about this issue and all I got was I am sorry but you were given that shift. Below is a copy of my offer letter(with personal info blocked out).

Please advise.

April 6, 2004

xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx <REVISED>
Street Address
City, State Zip

Dear xxxxxxx:

We are pleased that you have accepted our conditional offer for the position of Customer Support Representative II with xxxxxxxxxxxx. Your beginning salary will be $xxxxxxx per month. You are scheduled to work from 2:00 pm to 11:00 pm Monday – Friday. Subsequent merit increases and bonuses will be based on annual performance appraisals and how well the company meets its goals.

This letter is not an employment contract and does not guarantee continued employment. You or the company can terminate your employment at any time without notice.

With demand for xxxxxxxxxx growing each year in the Southeast – one of the most economically vibrant regions in the nation – it’s an exciting time to work for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Your medical coverage begins on your first day of employment. You will receive a benefits package from our Employee Service Center within 10 days of your start date. In the interim, if you need medical attention, you will be covered under a basic benefit plan, which consists of medical, long-term disability, and non-contributory life insurance.

We look forward to having you as part of our team. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Corporate Recruiter

Enclosure

Cc: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
An offer letter is not a contract; in fact, your offer letter specifically states that it is not a contract. Neither the offer letter or the conversation you had with the hiring manager obligates the employer to leave you on the shift you prefer. They are at liberty to change your shift as business needs require. They are NOT obligated to take your personal circumstances into consideration. It's unfortunate, but nothing illegal has transpired and you do not have any legal recourse to force them to leave you on the shift you want.

BlackJackal

cbg said:
An offer letter is not a contract; in fact, your offer letter specifically states that it is not a contract. Neither the offer letter or the conversation you had with the hiring manager obligates the employer to leave you on the shift you prefer. They are at liberty to change your shift as business needs require. They are NOT obligated to take your personal circumstances into consideration. It's unfortunate, but nothing illegal has transpired and you do not have any legal recourse to force them to leave you on the shift you want.
So basically the company can LIE to you in order to get you to take the job and then change everything once they have you? You see I have been in training since I have been here on a M-F 8-5 shift but I was scheduled to start my regular shift June 5th. So I never even started the shift I was promised.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BlackJackal said:
So basically the company can LIE to you in order to get you to take the job and then change everything once they have you? You see I have been in training since I have been here on a M-F 8-5 shift but I was scheduled to start my regular shift June 5th. So I never even started the shift I was promised.

My response:

Yes, they can. And now, you have to make a decision.

"You or the company can terminate your employment at any time without notice."

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And how do you intend to show that they deliberately lied? How do you propose to prove that they didn't honestly intend to put you on the shift you wanted, but had to change it due to circumstances beyond their control?

BlackJackal

cbg said:
And how do you intend to show that they deliberately lied? How do you propose to prove that they didn't honestly intend to put you on the shift you wanted, but had to change it due to circumstances beyond their control?
The answer is I don't know but it makes me very mad that I told the company that I could not work weekends and they told me that the schedule would not change but all I get now is "Iam Sorry". I guess you are right its either suck it up or quit. Neither of which are very appealling because its basically No Job or No Visitation with the Kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">