• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offered Demotion, will I still receve unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Arnold55

I live in Minnesota. I have been employed w/ this employer for almost 2 years. I had a meeting w/ my boss today and he said he is not going to fire me, however he is going to find a replacement for me, because we are not meeting our montly goals. He said he would try and find me something else, however it is not going to pay near what I am making now. I have to have a decision for him by Monday.

Will I recieve unemployement if I dont take the demotion?

Isis1

I live in Minnesota. I have been employed w/ this employer for almost 2 years. I had a meeting w/ my boss today and he said he is not going to fire me, however he is going to find a replacement for me, because we are not meeting our montly goals. He said he would try and find me something else, however it is not going to pay near what I am making now. I have to have a decision for him by Monday.

nope. if you don't take the demotion, then you are voluntarily quitting.

ecmst12

You may qualify for partial benefits if your pay cut is significant, but the unemployment people generally think some work is better then no work.

Isis1

You may qualify for partial benefits if your pay cut is significant, but the unemployment people generally think some work is better then no work.
now, would that fall under quitting entirely, or only if he took the demotion and then filed for the difference?

GonzoFL

Well my fast and short answer is Don't Quit! Maybe the demotion won't be all that bad....at least see what the offer is. You can study up on whats what concerning Minnesota unemployment at:

MN Unemployment Insurance: Information for Applicants

commentator

Gonzo's right, don't quit. Because it sounds very much like they are trying to force you to quit. If the cut in pay is really substantial, say it cuts your pay by more than 25%, say, then you could probably quit and stand a good chance of approval because this is being targeted to force a quit, and they aren't doing it across the board, rather to you as a punishment.

But if they actually fire you, it will be for performance, and in that case, what you say is that you showed up and did your best, and you still were not able to meet their criteria or requirments or quota. That would probably get you approved for benefits easily.

If your gross weekly wage gets down to where it is actually less than you could make on your weekly benefit for unemployment, you could file partial (for part of it) unemployment claims. But that would really be a low wage or significant cut in hours too, probably. If you want to know how much you would qualify to draw, you can go ahead and file a claim while still working, and this will set you up a claim good for one year and "freeze" your wages at your current pay rate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">