• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

One for the Books

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjobjs

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California

This is one for the books. My partner of 20+ years and I ventured into a new employment field- apartment management. We were hired as a team and trained by the company we were hired by. During our training we were under a signed contract for at will employment stating 90 days as our probationary period. When we were sent to our own complex we were again sent a new contract specifying our new wages, etc. and again "at will" employment. We failed to sign and return these. Our date of employment started on 02-24-2005, we started at our complex 03-28-2005 and on 05-02-2005 while working my partner injured himself (a company 8 ft. ladder buckled under him) and was taken away in an ambulance. He received a head concussion, lacerations to his face, a broken hand and a sprained hand and wrist. Although unable to do a minimal amount of his work (maintenance manager) he returned to work immediately. Our daughter and I attempted to compensate for his inability to do his work and did what we could ourselves.

On 05-17-2005 the owner of the company we worked for pulled a suprise inspection on our complex. On 05-25-2005 our supervisor provided us with a write up that specified a failure to maintain company policy regarding the appearance of our complex (lawns weren't edged and mowed, gardens weren't weeded, etc.) In this write up it included a statement that any future write ups could/would include termination. None of this had anything to do with my part of employment yet I was written up and had to sign it also because we were hired as a team. On 05-30-2005, I wrote the owner a letter regarding rescinding the write up based on my partners inability to perform his job do to on the job injuries.

On 06-03-2005 our supervisor terminated us from our employment stating that we were still in our probationary period and that there were to many tenant complaints. A call to the corporate office gave the reason for termination as "our relationship with the company just wasn't what they expected." Our supervisor informed us, when asked about my partners injuries, "we should have taken care of that while still employed."

On 06-08-2005 we confronted the owner and the head of the company inquiring and requesting a copy of the complaints alledgedly made against us. The company was unable to produce any such complaints yet we provided them with letters from over 75% of our tenants requesting that they reinstate us in our position. We also provided them with a letter from the doctor stating my partner to be unable to work for the next 9 days. We were offered a severance pay and letter of recommendation "if" we signed a letter that stated we would not pursue further legal actions of any sort (workmens comp., unpaid salaries, etc.) We failed to sign this also.

Because he was denied treatment and wasn't receiving workmens comp, as of recent my partner hired himself a workmens comp attorney for his injuries who also filed suit for wrongful termination.

My dillema lies in what exactly are my rights? I was obviously fired because of my partners inability to do his job. I wasn't in the probationary period any longer. I had failed to sign and return the employment contract. So what exactly are my rights? If in fact I am entitled to any, who do I contact? Is there a statute of limitations?

pattytx

You say you were an employee. Employees are automatically in an "at-will employment" situation unless you have a bona fide employment contract to the contrary; it is not necessary to have an agreement that you are "at will" and probationary periods have no force in law. What occurred in this situation is exactly what "at will" means; you can be fired at any time for any reason at that is not illegal, just as you could have quit at any time for any reason.

Had you had an attorney review the severance agreement they proposed at the time, he/she very well may have told you that the clauses regarding not being able to file for benefits required to be provided by law, such as worker's comp and unemployment insurance, were not enforceable in California (nor any other state that I know of). But the time for that is long past.

I don't see any case here.

bjobjs

pattytx said:
You say you were an employee. Employees are automatically in an "at-will employment" situation unless you have a bona fide employment contract to the contrary; it is not necessary to have an agreement that you are "at will" and probationary periods have no force in law. What occurred in this situation is exactly what "at will" means; you can be fired at any time for any reason at that is not illegal, just as you could have quit at any time for any reason.

Had you had an attorney review the severance agreement they proposed at the time, he/she very well may have told you that the clauses regarding not being able to file for benefits required to be provided by law, such as worker's comp and unemployment insurance, were not enforceable in California (nor any other state that I know of). But the time for that is long past.

I don't see any case here.

If I have no repercussion, then why would my partners attorney file suit for wrongful termination? Is he entitled to something that I am not?

Shay-Pari'e

bjobjs said:
If I have no repercussion, then why would my partners attorney file suit for wrongful termination? Is he entitled to something that I am not?
Hmm,

#1 08-19-2004, 10:31 AM
bjobjs
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2002

Double Jeopardy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not but here goes anyways.

On March 30, my girlfriend of 18 years and I got into a physical altercation. We both got some marks and bruises. Throughout this fight I tape recorded the mishap proving that I was only trying to defend myself. Later this same evening my girlfriend ended up going to the doctors for a cut in her mouth. While there the hospital called the police to report the incident. My girlfriend took the full blame for the incident and informed the P.D. of this. Needless to say I was arrested this same evening. When I was arrested I provided the police with my tape recordings and lo and behold my girlfriend was arrested too.

We were both held in custody until April 1 at which time we were to appear in front of the Judge at 10:30 am. Around 9:30 am, I was told to get myself ready I was being released. Prior to my leaving jail I asked what was going on and was informed that the D.A. had dropped the charges considering it to be a case of "mutual combat". I was under the impression that this was the finality of this mishap.

On August 10, at 6:30 am, my girlfriend called me at work informing me that the local police dept. was just at our door stating that I had a warrant for my arrest due to a traffic violation. P.D. stated that I needed to appear in court to get this matter cleared up. I hung up and personally called the P.D. inquiring about the warrant. I explained to the individual that if I needed to turn myself in that I was willing to do this but because of my being a truck driver I had to let my dispatch know so that I didn't get dispatched. I was still under the impression that the warrant was regarding a traffic violation. I was told that it wasn't necessary for me to turn myself in that I needed to call the courts and set up an appearance date.

Hanging up I called my girlfriend back and told her what I was told I then asked her to call back and get a number for the court in which I was to appear. My girlfriend called me back and stated that I had to call the traffic court in our hometown. I asked if she would do that and get me an appearance date. She got me a court date for August 13.

At 1 am, on August 11, I was leaving for work and almost immediately was pulled over. I explained to the officer that there was a warrant for my arrest regarding a traffic violation. The officer told me ther was no problem that he would call and get me a court date, cite me and release me he just needed to find out what the warrant was for. I was astounded when it came back stating that my warrant was for "Domestic Violence" to which the officer handcuffed me and stated I wouldn't be released. I continuously asked if I could use my phone and call my job to inform them that I wasn't going to make my 2 am dispatch explaining that my delay would cost my company thousands of dollars. I was ignored and denied. Needless to say I went to jail for something that I had thought was a dropped issue.

At 1:30 pm, this same day, I appeared before the Judge and upon receiving my paperwork was enlightened to the fact that three days after releasing me from jail in April that the D.A had pressed charges against me. Along with this I was informed I had missed a court date On April 23, and therefore, a warrant for my arrest had been issued on April 29. Some very apprising facts that I was completely ignorant of. What I found even more suprising is that since my original release from jail in April that my license has been ran more than once by P.D. and this warrant failed to appear before now.

While before the Judge my girlfriend informed the D.A. that the incident was her fault that she had instigated and started it something that the P.D. was well informed of. I also inquired as to the charges being dropped. The Judge responded by stating that he seen that I had scheduled a court appearance for that Friday and went on to say that the D.A. had originally "REJECTED" the complaint and couldn't understand why it was picked back up again. I was O.R.ed and given another court date to appear again.

Now this is my dilemma- because of this arrest I lost a union job of 14 years because I missed my dispatch.

What if anything can I do about the deception and false information that I was given in regards to the warrants validity by the P.D.? And, what if anything can I do about the D.A. failing to inform and notify me that they had decided to press charges against me, after dropping them, which resulted in my being arrested and caused me to lose my job? In speaking with the D.A. since this court appearance he's still not sure why their office filed charges.

Is there anything or anyone that can do something about this injustice?

bjobjs

--PARIDISE-- said:
Hmm,

#1 08-19-2004, 10:31 AM
bjobjs
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2002

Double Jeopardy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not but here goes anyways.

On March 30, my girlfriend of 18 years and I got into a physical altercation. We both got some marks and bruises. Throughout this fight I tape recorded the mishap proving that I was only trying to defend myself. Later this same evening my girlfriend ended up going to the doctors for a cut in her mouth. While there the hospital called the police to report the incident. My girlfriend took the full blame for the incident and informed the P.D. of this. Needless to say I was arrested this same evening. When I was arrested I provided the police with my tape recordings and lo and behold my girlfriend was arrested too.

We were both held in custody until April 1 at which time we were to appear in front of the Judge at 10:30 am. Around 9:30 am, I was told to get myself ready I was being released. Prior to my leaving jail I asked what was going on and was informed that the D.A. had dropped the charges considering it to be a case of "mutual combat". I was under the impression that this was the finality of this mishap.

On August 10, at 6:30 am, my girlfriend called me at work informing me that the local police dept. was just at our door stating that I had a warrant for my arrest due to a traffic violation. P.D. stated that I needed to appear in court to get this matter cleared up. I hung up and personally called the P.D. inquiring about the warrant. I explained to the individual that if I needed to turn myself in that I was willing to do this but because of my being a truck driver I had to let my dispatch know so that I didn't get dispatched. I was still under the impression that the warrant was regarding a traffic violation. I was told that it wasn't necessary for me to turn myself in that I needed to call the courts and set up an appearance date.

Hanging up I called my girlfriend back and told her what I was told I then asked her to call back and get a number for the court in which I was to appear. My girlfriend called me back and stated that I had to call the traffic court in our hometown. I asked if she would do that and get me an appearance date. She got me a court date for August 13.

At 1 am, on August 11, I was leaving for work and almost immediately was pulled over. I explained to the officer that there was a warrant for my arrest regarding a traffic violation. The officer told me ther was no problem that he would call and get me a court date, cite me and release me he just needed to find out what the warrant was for. I was astounded when it came back stating that my warrant was for "Domestic Violence" to which the officer handcuffed me and stated I wouldn't be released. I continuously asked if I could use my phone and call my job to inform them that I wasn't going to make my 2 am dispatch explaining that my delay would cost my company thousands of dollars. I was ignored and denied. Needless to say I went to jail for something that I had thought was a dropped issue.

At 1:30 pm, this same day, I appeared before the Judge and upon receiving my paperwork was enlightened to the fact that three days after releasing me from jail in April that the D.A had pressed charges against me. Along with this I was informed I had missed a court date On April 23, and therefore, a warrant for my arrest had been issued on April 29. Some very apprising facts that I was completely ignorant of. What I found even more suprising is that since my original release from jail in April that my license has been ran more than once by P.D. and this warrant failed to appear before now.

While before the Judge my girlfriend informed the D.A. that the incident was her fault that she had instigated and started it something that the P.D. was well informed of. I also inquired as to the charges being dropped. The Judge responded by stating that he seen that I had scheduled a court appearance for that Friday and went on to say that the D.A. had originally "REJECTED" the complaint and couldn't understand why it was picked back up again. I was O.R.ed and given another court date to appear again.

Now this is my dilemma- because of this arrest I lost a union job of 14 years because I missed my dispatch.

What if anything can I do about the deception and false information that I was given in regards to the warrants validity by the P.D.? And, what if anything can I do about the D.A. failing to inform and notify me that they had decided to press charges against me, after dropping them, which resulted in my being arrested and caused me to lose my job? In speaking with the D.A. since this court appearance he's still not sure why their office filed charges.

Is there anything or anyone that can do something about this injustice?

Hmm?? Please explain!

Gadfly

Back to the original thread

I'm not sure from your post and I don't want to assume anything, but did your partner file for workmans comp (or at least a report of accident) at the time the ladder gave in?

If you were provided with incorrect or defective equipment by the company that would be a consideration.

What was the reason for not signing the second agreement when you were assigned to the complex. Sometimes companies use this type of document to ensure that both you and your employer are clear on such things as job responsibilites, compensation, etc. By not signing it you may have been red-flagged as not being team players. An injury early on may have added to management's concerns.

You (by your own words) were hired as a "team" so the expectation that only part of the team would be released if something goes wrong is nuts.

pattytx

Perhaps because your partner was injured? He is in an entirely different situation.

You have not shown me that anything involved in YOUR discharge was for an illegal reason.

bjobjs

pattytx said:
Perhaps because your partner was injured? He is in an entirely different situation.

You have not shown me that anything involved in YOUR discharge was for an illegal reason.
If the basis of my partners wrongful termination is his injury and the inability to do his job as the cause for termination - am I not also considered to be terminated for his injury?

Thanks for your help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
An employee can be terminated for any reason that does not violate the law. You are not your partner. He MAY have a claim for wrongful termination because of his injury. You were not injured. Terming you because, in his absence, you are unable to complete the duties you signed on to do, is not a wrongful term.

justalayman

bjobjs said:
If the basis of my partners wrongful termination is his injury and the inability to do his job as the cause for termination - am I not also considered to be terminated for his injury?

Thanks for your help.
From what Paradise (re)posted above. I think I would see if the wrongful termination suit is against the motel comapany or the trucking company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">