• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

?: one man shop liabilty to hire minor to help out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smallbusiness

I live in Colorado and have a one man business right now. I was wondering about the liabilies if I hire a high school student to help with some of the work. What legal documents, if any do I need to protect him and me.
I want to cover myself and him to avoid problem in the future.

D

D. D. Lessenberry

I am not a lawyer, so any advice given is from experience.

Run "Child Labor Laws" on a search engine. These are federal and cover all states.

For example, minors are not allowed to slice lunch meat or operate heavy equipment unless in a co-operative ed program at his/her school.

After checking Child Labor Laws, maybe you'd want to see if his school HAS co-op, which would set you up in a more formal situation. (It is sometimes called Diversified Oc or Capstone Work Experience).

Good luck to you, and let me know if I've been of any help.

------------------
I *don't* have an attitude, even if my writing makes me look like I do

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">