• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oppressive environment results in quitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbrown650

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Georgia

I have quit my job with a Fortune 100 company. I accepted this position last summer. I had several other job offers when I accepted this postion. The position offered a sign on bonus and relocation. During the interview, I was told that the employee I was replacing had left to return to his/her home state. In addition, I was told that the work week was generally 50 hours. Further, I was told that it was a postive environment. After working from 7:00 AM until 8:00 PM almost every week day, working almost every weekend, many holidays, listening to an oppressive Vice President who loves to threaten to fire everyone, to the continually addition of work load, I gave up and quit. When I took the position, I signed an agreement to pay back my sign on bonus and any relocation that I had received. The period of the agreement was eighteen months. I have enough money to pay the company the bonus and the relocation amount that I received. I doubt that I have any recourse but I thought I should ask. I was not told the truth about the job requirements or work environment. The person I replaced quit within one year of employment. (5 people in the this position within 3.5 years) He/She quit before he/she had another job. The position that I have held isn't the only postion where there has been this much turn over. Another manager left without another job in October. The position is still open. (7 employees in 5 years) Employees from other plants will not take a position here. The Operation Manager told me he/she is looking for another job. I could not stay here an additional 11 months. Had I know that this job was 70+ hours, had I know the truth surrounding why the prior employee left (the day before he/she left he stated in on a conference call, "When do expect me to sleep?"), I would never have accepted this position. I seriously doubt this but is there any recourse against this company? Maybe it would prevent them from doing the same thing to someone else.

S

seniorjudge

"...After working from 7:00 AM until 8:00 PM almost every week day, working almost every weekend, many holidays...."

I do not know the answer to your question but I am subscribing to this thread so I can find out.

I do know that you should not start your own business if you consider the schedule above to be "oppressive."

Beth3

Here's your problem:

I was told that the employee I was replacing had left to return to his/her home state. It's quite possible she did decide to return to her home State.

In addition, I was told that the work week was generally 50 hours. Generally, that's probably true.

Further, I was told that it was a postive environment. From their point of view, the employer may consider it to be a positive environment.

It can readily be argued that those statements weren't lies, just "positive spin" which is not uncommon during the recruiting process. Both parties are putting their best foot forward.

I don't see that you have any recourse.

S

seniorjudge

Beth3 said:
...I don't see that you have any recourse....
Thanks, Beth. I thought so but I wanted to hear it from an expert.

AND I want you to know that I am very nice to waitresses. One of my favorites just had a baby and I bought the little critter a silver bank!

BelizeBreeze

I agree. You have no recourse. If you had been fired without cause, then maybe. But working 50 hours a day 6 days a week to me is a vacation.

You quit, thereby unilaterally voiding the contract and are responsible for the repayment.

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
I agree. You have no recourse. If you had been fired without cause, then maybe. But working 50 hours a day 6 days a week to me is a vacation.

You quit, thereby unilaterally voiding the contract and are responsible for the repayment.
But...BB...are you nice to waiters!? I KNOW you are nice to waitresses but are you nice to WAITERS!?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">