• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OT: Discrimination in the US and UK

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Some Random Guy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Off Topic

Just read a funny/sad story about discrimination in the UK that reminded me of why this board is focused on US law only and how you can't just assume other country laws would be similar.

Employer told they can't advertise for 'reliable' workers... because it discriminates against 'unreliable applicants | Mail Online

Recruitment boss Nicole Mamo, 48, tried to post an advert for a £5.80-an-hour domestic cleaner on her local Jobcentre Plus website.

She ended the job offer by saying that any applicants for the post 'must be very reliable and hard-working'

But when Ms Mamo called the Jobcentre Plus in Thetford, Norfolk, the following day she was told that her advert would not be displayed.

A Jobcentre Plus worker claimed that the word 'reliable' meant they could be sued for discriminating against unreliable workers.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I would love to see the UK statute that makes unreliable workers a protected class.

eerelations

Knowing UK employment law as I do, this story is definitely about a moron working at the job centre, and not about anything resembling UK employment law.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I suspected as much. My initial post in this thread was meant to be read while standing under the "sarcasm blue light" as one of my colleagues puts it.

Proserpina

(For what it's worth, the UK has far more protection for employees..very generally, once an employee has worked there for a specific time period it's virtually impossible to get rid of 'em without cause...)

;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yeah, we've got a few things to learn still over on this side of the pond.

Antigone*

(For what it's worth, the UK has far more protection for employees..very generally, once an employee has worked there for a specific time period it's virtually impossible to get rid of 'em without cause...)

;)
I guess that idjit just never got the memo:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">