• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of contract - does non-compete still apply?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheMouse

What is the name of your state? NJ

So I am a contractor, and my contract terminates at the end of the year. In my contract, I have a non-compete, that says I cannot work for a competitor for a 6 month period after termination of contract.

My question is, if I continue to work with this same company, after my contract is terminated, on a month to month basis, without signing a new contract.... does the non-compete clause start from the end of the year, or the day that I actually leave the company?

Thanks

pattytx

There is no way we can interpret a document we have not read. What does your employer say? Recommend you have the document reviewed by an attorney.

TheMouse

Let me rephrase my question.

If my contract expires at the end of the year. But I continue to work in the same fashion, without signing a new contract.... Do the terms of the old contract still apply? (Or get renewed as long as I work in the same fashion?) . There is no text in the contract regarding this situation.

Thank you.

I may post my contract up later, if need be.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let me rephrase the answer.

That depends entirely upon the contract. The law does not specify that the terms of the original contract either do, or do not, continue to apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">