• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of the Rut

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UpsideBound

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Just made all preliminary steps, tests, and interviews for working at Lowe's with flying colors. I know for certain will ace the criminal BG & drug test too, however I'm a little concerned about the credit portion of the background check.
Our credit was always excellent (fico 800+)until about 6 months ago when my husband was hurt in a rear-end collision and couldn't work. We used our own funds to see chiropractor, and he is well again. Insurance has not reimbursed, and some of our credit cards had to slide a little (fico around 600) in favor of mortgage, food and utilities. Husband is now gainfully employed once again and we will catch up to our well maintained credit very soon.
Will our good history be weighed along with our temporary conditions in consideration of my attainment of this position? Should I call the nice fellow in HR and explain?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Beth3

I think contacting HR and advising them of what they're going to see on the credit report and why is a good idea. Then they'll know exactly why your credit score is low at present and hopefully it will then be a non-issue.

Good luck with the new job. :)

ecmst12

They do a credit check to work at Lowe's??? That's just weird. I understand why they'd do it for a job at a bank, but retail?

Beth3

Could be a managerial or financial position. We don't know what job the OP is under consideration for. (But I could see how they might also do credit checks for all their positions.)

UpsideBound

Thanks

Thanks Beth!
I did call the fellow and explain briefly. He said another associate with similar situation was hired in alright. Said he could be wrong, but they look mostly at the criminal history of an individual. So now we wait for the wheels to revolve.
Your response seems helpful so far.
BTW~ The position is in Lawn & Garden

TY also ecmst!
I understand your disclaimer. The fact is we didn't sue for money or we would have used a real A&I lawyer that pays it all pro-bono. Instead we used our own money. All we wanted were nominal customary expenses incurred.
And I agree it seems oxymoronic to deny someone a job because they couldn't pay their bills.
I am just hoping that they take a look at our history too.

Hot Topic

A credit check can be a red flag to any employer, alerting them to a person who's having trouble managing his or her personal business. Sometimes that can carry over into the job.

If the job involves finances, a poor credit rating can be critical.

I've read that the best move to make is to prove to the employer that you're making the necessary changes to adjust your lifestyle, rather than just blaming things on the economy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">