• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outside Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyberslammer

So I work online for an employer out of Utah, but live in Tennessee...I have some other employers that I work online for part-time but it's outside of my 9-5 work online with my full-time employer and does not interfere with my full-time employer in any way at all.

Can the full-time employer make me quit the outside employers even though they are online and in no way interfere with my job performance with my full-time job?

eerelations

None of your employers can force you to do anything. However, absent a contract or CBA that states otherwise, any/all of your employers are legally free to fire you for refusing to quit any/all of your jobs. Google "at-will employment" to see why.

cyberslammer

What if I am working in a state that is not at-will? Say for example Tennessee is not at-will but Utah is. Can I be terminated at will if I'm living in a non at-will state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What if I am working in a state that is not at-will? Say for example Tennessee is not at-will but Utah is. Can I be terminated at will if I'm living in a non at-will state?
Why do you feel that Tennessee is not an at-will state?

http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/faq_laws.shtml#employmentatwill

jiggy78

Your employer cannot make you quit your other job. They can legally fire you if you do not. Is this clear?

Your "example" is bad since both States are at-will.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Every state in the US is an at-will state except Montana, and Montana recognizes the at-will doctrine in some situations.

Nice try, but no cigar.

commentator

My question is, How did your full time employer find out about your other jobs? Have they been cutting into the time you are willing to give to the full time employer? How will they know whether you quit or do not quit your part time jobs? If they want to fire you, I assure you that they can. If i were you and I had a full time job I was fond of, I'd do pretty much whatever they wanted me to do. You don't have any aces in this hand.

You have no reason or grounds to threaten them or demand anything of them, they're certainly not going to worry if you threaten to sue them. They will know better, in either state. You're lucky to have anything to do in TN at all in our current economic state, and I assure you that TN is rapidly on the way to being just about the most employer friendly at-will terminating hard to get unemployment insurance poorest worker's comp program state in the union. (We're chasing Mississippi!) They're bragging about it in the legislature right now. And I hear tell that Utah isn't far behind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">