• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overcoming Negative Work References

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Emc2

I'm in Arizona. I was let go from a law firm in 2004, for having made some type of mistake, and so one attorney didn't want to give me work anymore. The rest of the people in the firm were pleased with my work including my immediate supervisor, who told me 'everyone likes you, just keep doing what you're doing' - before i was let go. Anyway, since then, I have had many interviews trying to move onward and upward, all goes well, my 20+ years experience being a big plus; then, it seems everything stops, when it gets to the 'calling old employers for references' phase. I'm aware that laws restrict the questions potential employers can ask of past employers, but one question permitted is "would you hire her again?". My past employer likely says "NO", due to whatever policy. IS THERE ANY WAY TO OVERCOME THIS 'NOT ELIGIBLE FOR RE-HIRE' STIGMA, which likely greatly influences potential employers and continues to hold me back from moving onward? Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to try omitting the past employer from my resume, it will leave more than a year of working time blank, and I don't want to try lying to cover up the omission.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm aware that laws restrict the questions potential employers can ask of past employers,

No, they don't. There is a common belief that employers are restricted in what they can ask/answer in reference situations, but the actual fact is that the prospective employer can ask just about anything he wants except for information that is protected under the law (medical information being the biggie here) and the former employer can provide any information (except medical information) as long as the information is true or represents their honest and supportable opinion.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO OVERCOME THIS 'NOT ELIGIBLE FOR RE-HIRE' STIGMA,

Yes. Tell the prospective employer up front what they will find in the reference check, explain why, and since it is legitimately based on a mistake you made explain how you have learned from the mistake and how you can be sure it will never happen again. I'm not saying this will guarantee you a job, but the worst mistake you can make is letting the employer be blindsided.

I don't want to try omitting the past employer from my resume, it will leave more than a year of working time blank, and I don't want to try lying to cover up the omission

Good, because when you get caught (notice I say WHEN you get caught, not IF you get caught; it's much, much easier than you might think) that would be grounds for immediate termination with no unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">