• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overpayed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

i got overpayed by my last employer 3 months ago and been charged for stealing from them and recieving stolen property but on my warrant for my arrest they have the wrong social security number on it . what should and can i do ?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Here are the issues:

1. It sounds like you knew you were overpaid and never said a word.

2. If you knew and you cashed the check, you are liable, wrong social security number or not. If you did not know when you cashed the check, you have no liability because you are missing the requisite intent to steal.

3. As to the warrant, if you think you will get off on such a technicality, you are wrong. Court can still make the warrant valid as to YOU.

4. Ultimate conclusion, hire a criminal defense attorney and see what can be done so this can be just quietly taken care of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">