• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayments of unemployment insurance benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coopermini2008

I reside in Baltimore, MD

Almost a yr ago I was fired for something that I was accused of doing which I did not do. I filed for unemployment benefits and was approved because my employer did not respond within a certain timeframe and I was approved. A few months later I find out that T-Mobile, my previous employer had filed a dispute which put a halt to my benefits payments. Now I am employed and required to pay the money back but I just don't have the funds to do so at this time. I can barely pay for my monthly expenses and often at times need to rely on my credit cards and parents to make ends meet. I had a lawyer file a dispute indicating that I do not have the funds to pay back the UI money they say I now owe. What are my options? Should I wait till they send my file over to a collection agency and file for a settlement? I would appreciate any advice here. Thanks.

swalsh411

You story isn't entirely clear. Were you ordered to pay back the benefits you received after leaving T-Mobile but never did? Did you qualify for benefits after leaving T-Mobile but then were disqualified for future benefits for some reason? Are you being told you need to pay back ALL benefits you received? What was the issue in the T-Mobile appeal and why did it result in you being disqualified for benefits? Please clarify.

coopermini2008

At first I was qualified, spoke to the claims agent and benefits were paid out to me. I was later disqualified bc T-Mobile turned around and said I was let go for doing something that I didn't do. What had happened was I had sent a text message to a person I thought was a close friend in the company about clocking me in when I was running late for work. The text message was sent as a joke, we always sent text messages like that to each other as a private joke between the 2 of us... never intended on him actually clocking me in since he didn't have the codes to clock me in. Apparently he showed my boss the message-this time and I was pulled in by my manager and the HR rep after 5 days and I was terminated bc of the message. I realize what I did was stupid but I had no ill-will. I sent it basically as a joke, nothing more and nothing less.

Since I've found my new work I have been paying people back from monies I borrowed while I was unemployeed. Long story short, I was granted u/e ins benefit and started receiving for about 6 months b4 TMO decided to file a dispute and disqualified me from benefits bc they had the txt msg that I sent to the person who I thought was a close friend at the time. I received a letter from u/e insurance that bc I was disqualified I had to pay all the money that I was granted at that time. Due to my current living expenses and situations I am unable to pay that money back.

What should I do? I'm certain my options are limited but I need to know the best ave or course to take. Thanks for any advice.

swalsh411

Did the paperwork you received give you any kind of appeal rights? Or a chance to ask for hardship exception so you don't have to repay the overpayment? Some states have this; not sure about SC off hand.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">