• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overseas Contract Work Falsification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdbmbrown

Overseas Contract Work Title and Description Falsification

I am from Texas, but the company is Virginia based.

I am an overseas contract worker in Afghanistan. I work for a DOD subcontract company. When I was offered the job my contract stated that I was a telecom technician. The recruiter said I would do minor electrical work, such as pulling wire and installing plugs for a couple of weeks on my arrival, but it is not stated on my contract. On my arrival, the progress of the job is more than a couple of weeks to that point. On my arrival I was deemed an electrician to the extent that it is on my identification card. The theater managers of the mother contracting company said telecom work would not begin for six months or more. I have done a good job as an electrician and the mother company has confronted me on working for them as a telecom head worker. Is this not falsification of job vacancy?

Although the above, I was offered a better job in another country. I gave the company two weeks notice so I may begin the new job as soon as the other company can obtain a visa. On the contract it states if I do not give 30 days notice they may garnish my wages for the plane ticket. I understand that but am questioning the whole existence of the contract since I have not been able to do my assigned job. Is the contract null and void since I have not been able to do the contracted job and was labeled another title without my knowledge? They did not disclose the change to me, I feel lied to from the beginning. They also garnish most of my wages for my ticket home. Co-workers are telling me that they have to pay for my travel home no matter what. Is my contract still legal and binding?

Last edited:

Contracts, if it is indeed a contract, are very specific. Only an attorney who has read the entire document can tell you what, if any, breach occurred.

However, let me say this...IF they have broken the contract, what makes you think you then have the right to break it, too? Two wrongs don't make a right! One person breaking a contract does not nullify the contract. A perfect example of this is in divorce/child custody cases...just because Daddy stops paying child support, doesn't mean Mommy can withhold his visitation. She has to sue him for contempt of court. If your employer has violated the contract, you will have to sue them for breach of contract, but you don't get to arbitrarily decide you don't have to follow the rules yourself.

Also, I don't know where you got the idea that your employer is responsible for paying for your fare home. Nothing in the law says so. Your contract may specify this, but again, only an attorney who has read the entire document can advise.

jdbmbrown

SuzieWahoozie said:
Contracts, if it is indeed a contract, are very specific. Only an attorney who has read the entire document can tell you what, if any, breach occurred.

Also, I don't know where you got the idea that your employer is responsible for paying for your fare home. Nothing in the law says so. Your contract may specify this, but again, only an attorney who has read the entire document can advise.
You may not enter into a foreign country for the work I do with DoD on the secret clearance job I perform without a contract. As you are a HR director, I was brought from a different part of the same country do a specific job but was deemed a different title without my knowledge and told that my job was not in view for many months to a year. My contract states my title is telecom tech not electrician. There is a international law stating that the contracting entity must pay to return contractors from hazardous areas. If I could find that law I would love that. I was lied to about what my duties would be while my contract states what they told me I would be doing not what the duties I performed were.

I am looking for legal support on whether this would be a case of contract breaching. No one said I was right or wrong in getting a job that I am experiencd and trained at doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">