• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mark Tyler

What is the name of your state? TN

I work for a very large security company and I am a full-time (40hr a week) employee. Two days ago my boss advised me that I will have to go home 1 hr early, three days this next week and I will not be allowed to work a full 40 hrs. My boss also told me that I will have to come in on my day off for additional training (3hrs). My boss said that if I choose to work a full 40 hrs or not attend the additional training I will be written up or suspended. My boss is trying to save on overtime by making me leave early 3hrs so that the additional training would not be time and a half pay. Also I work 8 hrs a day and only receive a 30 min. lunch break that I must take on property and cut short if needed. Are these two situations legal as far as TN law?

[email protected]

JETX

"Are these two situations legal as far as TN law? "
Yes, and yes.

"Each employee in Tennessee who is scheduled to work six consecutive hours must have a 30-minute, unpaid rest break or meal period. If, however, the nature of the workplace is such that employees may take breaks during the workday, the scheduled rest/meal period need not be provided. Breaks may not be scheduled during or before the first workday hour. "

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">