• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skimmons

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have been employed for a medical device company for almost 13 years. The pay stinks, the health insurance is ok, and I do get 4 weeks vacation and a week of personal time. I've gone back to school and hopefully will be certified to teach by the beginning of 2010. My question is, can the company actually fire me for refusing to work overtime? I've got two kids that are always in afterschool activities and with me back in school it is literally impossible to have enough time for everything I need to do. My husband helps, but it just isn't enough. I do admit, if I felt like a was gettting a better pay rate, I probably wouldn 't mind some of the overtime. (And I am only an assembler.) But good grief, when you are hired in at only $5.50 and after 13 years only getting up to $8.60 an hour(laugh if you must, I'm not lying!) no wonder I get bitter at times!

ecmst12

Unfortunately, it is legal for them to fire you for refusing to work overtime. They can require you to work just about any amount of hours as they like, so long as you (as a non exempt employee) are paid at 1.5 times normal rate for all hours over 40 in a week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">