• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overtime pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jwinbc

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I work for a company that doesn't pay overtime to the salary workers.I signed a agreement to work 6 days and 48 hours a week.At times its more like 60 hours a week 7 days.However I only get the agreed salary wage.I have worked for the company for 17 years now.Salary for the last ten year or so. Since I signed a agreement to work the 48/6 is that exempt from paying the overtime? I would think that anything over the 48 should be overtime right?

HomeGuru

jwinbc said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
I work for a company that doesn't pay overtime to the salary workers.I signed a agreement to work 6 days and 48 hours a week.At times its more like 60 hours a week 7 days.However I only get the agreed salary wage.I have worked for the company for 17 years now.Salary for the last ten year or so. Since I signed a agreement to work the 48/6 is that exempt from paying the overtime? I would think that anything over the 48 should be overtime right?
**A: and what did your state DOL advise?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not an employee can legally be considered exempt from overtime depends upon their job duties and NOT on any document they may or may not have signed.

If you do not qualify as exempt, then you CANNOT legally waive your right to overtime.

If you do qualify as exempt, then there are NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER in which the employer is required to pay you anything more than your regular salary.

To determine whether or not you qualify as exempt, check out the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) definitions on the Department of Labor web site (www.dol.gov) or contact your state Department of Labor for clarification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">