• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime Pay for exempt employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmalik420

State: California

I was terminated and my employer refuses to pay for my O/T (160 hours). I am an exempt employee, but there is no such clause in the employee manual that an exempt employee cannot be paid for the O/T. The employer (# 1 media co. in the world) says that they do not want to set a precedent of paying for O/T, otherwise they will have to pay for everybody who claims after he/she is terminated.

What legal action can I take? The total amount in question is about $7,000. Please advise ASAP. Thank you.

L

loku

Overtime pay policy

Employers do not have to pay overtime to exempt employees. That is what is meant by “exempt.” However, they can do so if they want. In your case the company is using good legal judgment because if they do pay you overtime, then they MAY set a precedent and they MAY then have to pay everyone who claims it.

However, if it would make you feel better about this, you can put in a complaint with the state department of labor or employment. They will fill you in on your rights, although I believe you have none here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">