• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djim72

What is the name of your state? California

A few months ago I was asked if I wanted to put in few extra hours working
overtime, note...I was given the option of accepting or declining "no pressure" right. Well to gain approval from my peers I accepted. After a couple months the overtime began to take its toll and was unwilling repeatedly tardy. First I was given a verbal warning, secong a written warning and finally I was suspended for two days. After that I was basically a marked man and any occurrence after that got me another suspension...and it did, for three days.
How is it that they can write me up and then suspend me for a voluntary (not mandatory) schedule? I could have said no. Can they do that?

TamaraL

Just because you volunteer for extra hours doesn't give you a free pass to be late. If it is bothering your work performance that much you can request that you return to your normal full time schedule.

wushukungfoo

I hate to say it, but since you agreed to it...it's sort of a verbal contract...and then you started breaking it by being late.

If I were you, my approach would be just exactly as you told us here. Explain to them that you took on the extra hours hoping to impress and please them and that now it is affecting your work. Ask them with all the sweetness that you can muster if they would kindly place you back on your original schedule.

Yeah, I know it sucks to come back with hat-in-hand, but it's certainly better than trying to find another job in this economy... :(

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yep, they can do that.

Yes, you could have said no, but you didn't. Agreeing to work overtime is not a licence to be tardy. You are still responsible for being on time for work whether you work overtime or not.

Beth3

How is it that they can write me up and then suspend me for a voluntary (not mandatory) schedule? Because when you agreed to work the overtime hours, you made a committment to be there for all your scheduled hours.

I could have said no. But you didn't.

Can they do that? Of course. As cbg said, agreeing to work overtime does not give you license to be tardy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">